Kickflash OS4 with AmigaOS 3.1.4 rom modules - need help

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi All, wasn't sure where to post this as there seems to be no separate forum for the KickFlash. I have one of these in my A4000. I recently purchased AmigaOS 3.1.4, just the digital download. I thought great, I can put the rom in the Kickflash and have it resident at boot. Well I tried to put the entire rom into the Kickflash, but that just results in a white screen on power on - no disk activity from HDD or floppy. Next I tried individually adding all modules from the modules disk, and that got further - but it just stops at a workbench screen with only the titlebar - the workbench doesn't actually load.

Does anyone have any advice or guidance on how to get the rom modules for OS 3.1.4 or the entire rom, working from the KickFlash OS4? Yes I am running the latest firmware on the KickFlash, version 1.6. My computer is an Amiga 4000 with Cyberstorm MK2 060, Mediator bus-board, Voodoo 3, hard drive on IDE port 0 and IDE cdrom on port 1.

Thanks

Darren

• Hi All, wasn't sure where to post this as there seems to be no separate forum for the KickFlash.

That's because Kickflash OS4 went out of production some 15 years ago, last sold about 12-13 years ago. We don't support the product any more.

Kickflash OS4 is NOT a Kickstart ROM mapper, so what you're trying can't work.

• That's because Kickflash OS4 went out of production some 15 years ago, last sold about 12-13 years ago. We don't support the product any more.

Kickflash OS4 is NOT a Kickstart ROM mapper, so what you're trying can't work.

Hi Jens, Kickstart remapping was added in later versions of the CoyoteFlash software, version 1.6. You have a link to firmware 1.52 on your site here: http://wiki.icomp.de/w/images/d/d0/CoyoteFlash.lha. But there was a later version 1.6 which can do rom remapping. You can download that here: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=94739

You can I understand it is an older product and not supported, but it I would have thought it should work after reading the readme.

• I just used the internet WayBack machine to look at the CoyoteFlux website and it says this:

Version 1.6 of Kickflash OS4 is now available for download on Individual Computers website and our webpage. This is a major update with many improvements over the last version.

The firmware now supports multiple Kickstart remapping. The remapping of 512KB Kickstarts works with the MapRom feature of the Cyberstorm MK1/MK2/MK3/PPC, A3640 and the BlizzardPPC boards. Additionally it supports Retro Remapping to make any Amiga start in Kickstart 1.3 mode when the joystick button is held during reset. This requires a 34.005 Kickstart ROM and uses Relokick's internal relocation table to rekick the system. This lets you disable the caches by pressing the left mousebutton during the Kickstart 1.3 floppy boot screen, which makes a lot of older programs compatible with faster systems.

https://web.archive.org/web/20…oteflux.nl/flashtools.htm

I have a Cyberstorm MK2 perhaps I am doing something wrong with it, I iwll look into the MAPROM feature.

• Yes, that update makes use of other card's Kickstart mapping feature(s) - it's not using Kickflash itself to re-map the Kickstart ROM. I never really liked the idea of linking my relatively-low-priced product to the functionality that a second product provides, because it mixes in a support requirement for somebody else's product. Not that I deliberately skipped V1.6 in our Wiki - that must have been an oversight.

To be honest, I don't even have the files of the Kickflash project any more; it does not have a directory on my NAS or the backup archives. I'd have to check the old machines that I've used in 2002/2003 when I designed the board (yes, I still have those), but that would take time that I don't have at the moment.

• Ok Understood, I just read it that you could load a different ROM and use it, but I guess that is not correct. Individual files do work, as does the AmigaOS 3.9 ROMUpdate file. Thanks for the explanation.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

• :)
    • :(
    • ;)
    • :P
    • ^^
    • :D
    • ;(
    • X(
    • :*
    • :|
    • 8o
    • =O
    • <X
    • ||
    • :/
    • :S
    • X/
    • 8)
    • ?(
    • :huh:
    • :rolleyes:
    • :love:
    • 8|
    • :cursing:
    • :thumbdown:
    • :thumbup:
    • :sleeping:
    • :whistling:
    • :evil:
    • :saint:
    • <3
    Marks thread as resolved after post creation.