Aca500+ Gets hot.

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi all ,

my aca500+ which has always been a little temperamental has no ceased to work at all and is getting very hot.

No boot , occasionally the leds work but often stop almost instantly.

any ideas ?

Thank you.

Ps

I have dead rapid road that the former owner connected the wrong way around I expect that is dead.

• May I ask what type of power supply you're using in your setup?

That RapidRoad is dead for sure. We may take a look at it if you decide to send your ACA500plus back for a repair.

• The old heavy one is not a good choice for an expanded Amiga - especially not the PPC one, but even the A500 with just the ACA500plus brings that to it's limits with an average total current of 2.4A on the 5V rail. When the drive starts to spin, you easily cross the 2.5A limit, where the voltage drops dangerously low to levels where a latch-up is more likely to happen - and this is what I suspect what happened to your setup.

Please make sure to use at least a 3A power supply for your setup. Avoid 3rd-party PSUs with MeanWell chassis.

Please ship the items for repair, and don't forget to include a short letter describing what to do on each unit. A reference like "as discussed on the forum" won't do it - please take the time for a sentence or two.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.