6567R8 VIC-II detection issues

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I was reading through the previous thread by NOForker about NTSC video issues, and I noticed a couple people bringing up an issue where their 6567R8 would not be detected on boot. Since it's a separate issue, I decided to make a new thread about it.

I am having the same issue where my C64R MK2 is having great trouble detecting my 6567R8, booting only on rare occasion after many power cycles. Today I switched to a 6567R9 and the chip is being detected flawlessly. Although that makes this issue no longer relevant to me, I hope that a future firmware update might address it to prevent others from making the same mistake as me, buying a chip that does not work in their C64 Reloaded.

I'm also wondering how common this issue is - does it affect the majority of 6567R8 chips, or only a rare few? I'm new to C64 hardware, but I'm happy to do my best to provide any information that can be useful for further diagnosis.

• For our diagnosis, please flash the latest firmware, insert the chip in question and then post the chipset info that's output by the "I" command or the firmware tool. This will show us the values that are measured during chip detection, and how close they are to the threshold.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.