Sam's Journey cartridge, L'abbaye Des Morts D64 and Rescuing Orc D64 problems on TC64V2

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • As far as I understand Sam's Jounrney's cartridge is a so called Gmod2 cartridge and has 3 save states so you can save the game progress on the cartridge itself. When I tried the Cartridge image in my TC64 V2 it did not save the game progress. I had to use the D64 version if I wanted my game progress saved. Is saving to Gmod2 cartridges not supported by TC64?

Also, I bought the digital version of L'abbaye Des Morts. It comes with a cartridge image, one regular D64 and one D64 for SD2IEC. None of the D64 images seemed to work on my TC64V2. Started loading the game and just gave me an error. Cartridge image worked fine though. I connected an SD2IEC to my C64 and the D64 for SD2IEC worked just fine. So is this a know issue with the TC64/TC64V2? All other D64s I've tried so far works fine.

• Is saving to Gmod2 cartridges not supported by TC64?

THe current emulation only takes care of the ROM part, which is very similar to Ocean cartridges. However, the saving part would mean to emulate the EEPROM that is mounted on the GMod2 cartridge. That is currently not emulated.

None of the D64 images seemed to work on my TC64V2.

Please make sure to disable "most" options on the TC64 before trying new software. Especially the turbo and/or a second drive will mess up compatibility, as 99% of the software is written for a plain C64 with a single floppy drive. Some fast loaders even fail if a printer is connected and switched on, so enabling turbo or a second drive will most certainly cause the setup to be incompatible with many programs.

• THe current emulation only takes care of the ROM part, which is very similar to Ocean cartridges. However, the saving part would mean to emulate the EEPROM that is mounted on the GMod2 cartridge. That is currently not emulated.

Please make sure to disable "most" options on the TC64 before trying new software. Especially the turbo and/or a second drive will mess up compatibility, as 99% of the software is written for a plain C64 with a single floppy drive. Some fast loaders even fail if a printer is connected and switched on, so enabling turbo or a second drive will most certainly cause the setup to be incompatible with many programs.

Thanks for the answer.

I am running the very basic setup with only drive 8 enabled and no turbo is enabled. No fast loader cartridges or anything is mounted.

• TObias will be back from holidays on january 6th; he can then take a look at L'abbaye Des Morts.

Thanks. Another question. when you load up games then press the left (black button) to go back to the menu. Is it smart to clear the memory or reset the TC64 V2 before loading up another game? Will the game I loaded up first stay in memory? What's the best thing to do between loading up each game?

• Will the game I loaded up first stay in memory?

Parts that are not overwritten by the newly-loaded game will stay in memory, yes. That's what it's always been like on the C64, and it may not be desirable to have remainders of other programs in memory, but mostly won't do any harm (unless the software has bugs and relies on initialized memory).

What's the best thing to do between loading up each game?

The answer to this question is very debatable, and a thorough answer may result in an evening-long discussion. Even the term "clearing memory" needs to be defined first, as there's multiple way that you can view "clear" memory - either "all 0s", or the typical 00/FF pattern with bit-flips here and there that a freshly-powered-up C64 shows.

The best short answer I can give is "whatever works", because the worst thing that can happen with non-initialized memory is that a program doesn't work right.

• So Rescuing Orc gave me the same type of Syntax error while trying to load the D64 as L'abbaye Des Morts did. Rescuing Orc is another one of the games made in recent times. Here is a link to the official free download of Rescuing Orc https://www.usebox.net/jjm/rescuing-orc/

Edit: Again, as with L'abbaye Des Morts I disabled drive 8 on the TC64 V2 itself and loaded the D64 for Rescuing Orc from my SD2IEC which worked fine. So clearly there is some kind of compatability issue with the TC64 with this game aswell. Had the same problem on my second TC64 V2 aswell which is plugged into another one of my C64s.

Happy new year

• turrican9

Changed the title of the thread from “Sam's Journey cartridge and L'abbaye Des Morts D64 problems on TC64V2” to “Sam's Journey cartridge, L'abbaye Des Morts D64 and Rescuing Orc D64 problems on TC64V2”.
  • Hi, I have no problems with L'abbaye Des Morts D64-version with TC64V1. At least it works if I mount D64-image and choose from menu "reset to basic". Then load"*",8,1 and it loads fine. Turrican9, try if it works this way with TC64V2 too?

• Hi, I have no problems with L'abbaye Des Morts D64-version with TC64V1. At least it works if I mount D64-image and choose from menu "reset to basic". Then load"*",8,1 and it loads fine. Turrican9, try if it works this way with TC64V2 too?

I actually meant to try this shortly after I made my posts but forgot all about it. Mounting the D64 image then reset to basic and load"*",8,1 worked for both L'abbaye Des Morts and Rescuing Orc. Thanks

• As for the "memory clearing".... usually there is no need to clear the memory, so most of the time just dont bother. there are basically two situations where it matters:

a) an original (not cracked) game, which tries to check if the memory contains hacking tools/cartridges/whatever. those checks require a "powerup" RAM pattern. to get this, just powercycle the c64+chameleon, it will init the RAM with such a pattern at poweron. fortunately these cases are rare.

b) buggy programs that somehow rely on the ram content prior running. with these its trickier, sometimes a powerup pattern will do the trick, sometimes you need to fill the memory with some other value. hard to find out, impossible to give a general rule. fortunately also rare :) a few known such programs are listed at the bottom of our Core Bugs Page.

• As for the "memory clearing".... usually there is no need to clear the memory, so most of the time just dont bother. there are basically two situations where it matters:

a) an original (not cracked) game, which tries to check if the memory contains hacking tools/cartridges/whatever. those checks require a "powerup" RAM pattern. to get this, just powercycle the c64+chameleon, it will init the RAM with such a pattern at poweron. fortunately these cases are rare.

b) buggy programs that somehow rely on the ram content prior running. with these its trickier, sometimes a powerup pattern will do the trick, sometimes you need to fill the memory with some other value. hard to find out, impossible to give a general rule. fortunately also rare :) a few known such programs are listed at the bottom of our Core Bugs Page.

Welcome back and happy new year. Thanks for the answer. So basically I start games, press the left button (black one) on TC64 V2 to get back to the menu, load up other games and so on and should for the most part be fine then

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.