Formatting large drives, HDInstTools hangs

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • My current setup is a 4Gb CF card connected via an IDE to CF converter. It works fine.

I'm using Amiga OS 3.1 with a 68030 accelerator.

I want to attach a secondary 32Gb CF card to the same port (2nd connector of IDE cable).

In another thread, Jens mentioned don't use HDToolBox rather use HDInstTools.

Well, when I launch this app, it starts scanning for changes and hangs there.

Any suggestions?

• Please specify:

- the type of 68030 accelerator (some have issues with Zorro timing)

- other possible expansions in that system

- the Buddha ROM that you currently have in your flash rom (if it's flash at all)

- the Buddha verison; there have been a few since 1997.

- age of the power supply, maybe the type if it's not the original one

• Terrible Fire 534 (68030, 4mb on board zorro 3 ram), ram68k 8mb ram module (on 68000 socket), ZZ9000 rtg

Buddha IDE, purchased approx July of this year.

• Did you double-check the version number with the version command? It should be V52.101.

If you've had the old Elby software before, you may need to change the device in HDinsttools to "buddhascsi.device" instead of "scsi.device" (I don't remember if this is in the tooltypes or later in the program itself).

• Did you double-check the version number with the version command? It should be V52.101.

If you've had the old Elby software before, you may need to change the device in HDinsttools to "buddhascsi.device" instead of "scsi.device" (I don't remember if this is in the tooltypes or later in the program itself).

Jens,

Version: I verified this. The version is indeed 52.101

HDInstTools: the device is specified by the tooltype. buddhascsi.device is what I am using.

• Jens,

Here's an update...

I installed the shipping DOM module back into port 1 and tried to install wb on this new 32 gb cf card. It would detect the card but computer would hand on the loading ffs screen. I believe it's a cf card compatibility issue. This is a lexar brand card. I shall try with some other brand, once I have one.

• Jens,

Here's an update...

I installed the shipping DOM module back into port 1 and tried to install wb on this new 32 gb cf card. It would detect the card but computer would hand on the loading ffs screen. I believe it's a cf card compatibility issue. This is a lexar brand card. I shall try with some other brand, once I have one.

I have no problem installing wb on a 120gb sata ssd using an ide->sata converter. I can live with this. No need for the 32gb CF card.

I'm just curious as to why it's not working. I'm guessing CF card compatibility issues.

• I'm just curious as to why it's not working. I'm guessing CF card compatibility issues.

I frequently tell people that the Buddha controller is an IDE controller, not a CF card controller. For CF compatibility, it requires the CF card to be ATA-X3T9 compatible, which many of them aren't.

• As an update to perhaps help others in the same situation, I want to say that I tried another brand of CF card (generic brand purchased from Ebay) of 16Gb size. I was able to successfully format it. So Lexar brand CF cards may be problematic and should be avoided.

• So Lexar brand CF cards may be problematic and should be avoided.

You might have a fake Lexar card then, as my personal expereience is that Lexar and Sandisk are fully X3T9 compatible. However, expensive brands like this (and also maybe Transcend) are targets for counterfeit products.

Anyway, good to hear that it works.

• You might have a fake Lexar card then, as my personal expereience is that Lexar and Sandisk are fully X3T9 compatible. However, expensive brands like this (and also maybe Transcend) are targets for counterfeit products.

Anyway, good to hear that it works.

I wouldn't be surprised. The Lexar CF card was inexpensive and also purchased from Ebay.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.