any Idea where to get chips apart from ebay?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi, I'm new here and was very excited with the idea of building my own c64, but I felt discouraged when I see that important chips like 6502 and 6526a among others are almost impossible to find but used ones, not to mention the bunch of ebay scammers who sell fake chips, any ideas? thanks?(

• "used" ist the general property you'll have to live with, as the only plant on the planet that could produce these chips has been torn down some time in the late 1990s.

We did have a good quantity of "new old stock" components, but these were all sold in 2015 with the first incarnation of the C64 Reloaded. So today, we can only offer the main board, and the best recommendation I can give for sourcing chips would be defective C64 boards.

The good news is that a defective C64 is most likely not suffering from an "all chips dead"-problem. I'd guess that you won't need more than two defective C64s, which can also serve as parts donors for other things like the keyboard. One part that breaks on a regular basis on the original C64 is the PLA chip, and you don't even need that on the C64 Reloaded MK2.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.