X Surf 500 communication issue

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • It was working a few months ago, but right now I cannot connect to anything using my X Surf 500. I can ping it's own interface, I can also ping the X Surf 500 from a PC but I cannot ping anything on my network from the Amiga. Weird? What am I missing? Just to be clear, I have tested the gateway, 8.8.8.8, and other PCs that I can ping from other devices.

• If you get a Ping-response from the Amiga, the hardware itself is OK, as packets are passing both ways. Firther, DHCP must be working, otherwise you wouldn't even have a valid IP address in your local network. Still, just to exclude a hardware problem in your switch or router, I'd try to move the network cable to a different port of your switch.

Had an update to your router recently? Maybe a hickup with IPv4 to IPv6 transition? Local firewall settings, maybe a (new) requirement of allowing the MAC address to initiate communication in your network?

• I gues this can be a lot of things like firewalls, Antivirus, incorrect gateway (for multiple subnets) preventing a ping response.

Did you try to ping an address on the internet like 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8?

Another long shot, my previous switch i used in my man-cave got upset when using 10mbit devices after a day or so. Then all kind of weird things like this happend. After a reset everything was ok again for a while. Afcource i retired this switch.

• Yeah so it appears to have been the bridge a created using a PC. (I didn't have a switch near the Amiga.) However I thought of that first and removed the cable from the bridge and plugged the XSurf directly into the wall and it still didn't go. I tried again a while later and it worked. The only thing I can surmise is that I didn't reboot the Amiga when I switched it back. the first time.

• I am revisiting this because the same issue has come back, but now I am plugged into a switch. At first it was working then a while later I tried to communicate and I couldn't, rebooting did not help. I'm testing further, but it I am wondering if it's losing connection after prolonged use.

• Yes, the LED is lit. And yes it does light up again when unplugged and plugged in. But there is no doubt that it just stops after certain amount of use. I used it for several hours on the weekend without issue. Then went into a bunch of other programs. I came back to needing network access again and no go. Same issue as stated above. I can ping the interface from the CLI. I can also ping the interface from other devices on the network. But I can't connect to anything from the Amiga. A reboot does not fix it. I have to leave it off for a while. Very strange.....

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.