Best Memory Expansion for A500+ Rev 8 - No ACE2?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I'm trying to figure out what is the best way to add memory to my Amiga 500+. It has board Rev 8 (I think 8a.1). According to the description of the ACE2, it will only work on board revisions up to Rev 7. So, what is the best way to add memory to my system internally? Is the trapdoor memory expansion the only internal option available?

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan

• Depends how much you want to spend & how much ram you are looking for.

The cheapest & easiest is probably a 512k trapdoor board, but you could give your A500+ a lot more options in one go with the ACA500plus, you will get 8mb of ram, an acellerator up to 42mhz, 3 built in licenced roms, WB3.1, 2 CF card slots, boot drive selector & more. Its not internal but its the best bit of kit I have bought for my A500 👍😁

• I'd like to add that ACE2 will "only" give you chip ram, which has always been limited to 2MBytes on the Amiga. The reason why it's so expensive is that the Agnus chip is so rare - you already have the 2MByte type in your Rev.8 Amiga. For the next incarnation of the A512 (which will likely not have that name any more), I intend to add a few options that make it possible to add 2MBytes of chip ram to the Rev.8 (non-plus) Amiga boards.

Other than that, I can only recommend the ACA500plus, because once you have more memory, you'll quickly discover that you need more things like mass-storage, a nice way to transfer files from a PC and some more CPU power. The ACA500plus will give you all that.

• I agree that without an ACA500+, it's quite hard to make use of an Amiga 500 these days. That piece of hardware gives you a lot to play with.

I remember back in the days when I purchased a sidecar hard drive for my A500, I was thinking how did I live without that until now.

Yes floppies/Gotek are great and I still use them, until you get bored with them which is rather quickly :)

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.