A500(+) with kickstart 3.1 or 3.1.4 and ACA500+

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Jens,

I read online that in order for kickstarts v3.1 and 3.1.4 to be stable on the Amiga 500 and +, one needs to make sure to have Resistor Packs RP106 and RP107 installed on the motherboard.

I assume that the ACA500+ already takes care of this ?

This mod is only necessary if using the A500(+) standalone without the ACA500+?

Regards

KKR75

• I read online that in order for kickstarts v3.1 and 3.1.4 to be stable on the Amiga 500 and +, one needs to make sure to have Resistor Packs RP106 and RP107 installed on the motherboard.

Can't verify that.

These resistor pack holes are only on the newer board revisions, and they can be equipped with different kinds of resistor packs: Either pull up/down resistor packs (as the outer pins are wired to VCC and GND, which would be good for SCSI-like termination), or simple pull-up-only or pull-down-only resistor packs, so whoever is passing the information without saying what *exactly* needs to be installed does not know what he/she is doing. A second indication for "half-knowledge" is failing to mention RP105, which completes the address lines that the Kickstart ROM/EPROM chip sees.

I can imagine that an unlucky combination of 68000 CPU, CMOS EEPROM and flaky power supply can require pull-up resistors on the address lines for the EPROM to see "safe" levels on the address lines. If you want to read up on that, search terms would be "TTL vs. CMOS voltage levels" (one has the threshold around 1.4V, the other at 2.5V). Then again, at 7.1MHz, addresses have plenty of time to rise above 2.5V, so it's highly unlikely that any pull-up resistors are required.

For the ACA500plus, there's no need to worry, as you're not changing the hardware with the Kickstart version: The contents are loaded into RAM, which is then write-protected to appear like a real ROM. The product *really* does not require you to open the computer, no matter what Kickstart version you have and no matter if the floppy drive is defective.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.