ACA1233n Hangs at boot with IDE speeder technology enabled

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • The usage of 3rd party PSU and a gotek drive on the rear floppy port result in more constant lock ups at power on.

That's an interesting result - yet another proof that the currently-available 3rd party PSUs are not suitable for the Amiga.

Your Commodore PSUs also having trouble might just be related to them being old (electrolytic caps dried out after all these years) or just being under-powered.

I have a PSU replacement in the works that addresses all troubles that old and current 3rd-party PSUs have. Your setup might be a good test case.

• have you tried to remove the 68000 from its socket, clean it well with a toothbrush (the cpu and the socket, with care) and re-seating it fully ?

Does not apply - his computer is an A1200. Thanks anyway for your attempt to help.

• I’ve formatted my sd card

First time you're mentioning this - your initial post was "exactly the same situation", and now you're mentioning that your system contains a completely different storage device, obviously connected with an adapter that can't go as fast as the IDE speeder goes.

Please use a proper IDE device, or post the technical data of the SD->IDE adapter, so we can review it's capabilities.

• First time you're mentioning this - your initial post was "exactly the same situation", and now you're mentioning that your system contains a completely different storage device, obviously connected with an adapter that can't go as fast as the IDE speeder goes.

Please use a proper IDE device, or post the technical data of the SD->IDE adapter, so we can review it's capabilities.

Hello.
    There is no difference between my first mentioning and my second one.
    First I tried an IDE to CF adapter and than I tried an active SD to IDE adapter.
    same situation. It hangs with both.
    in Sysinfo I only got 1,9 MB in safe mode.

• Please describe your system in full - main board revision, power supply, all hardware add-ons including external ones.

Also, please do a close inspection of the two black wires on the ACA1233n: Are they both properly in place?

• Hello Jens,

I've tested with three different boards 2x 1D4 and 1x 1D1

Timing capicitors are not assembeled.

Original A1200 PSU, A600 PSU and PSU with Meanwell 3rd party PSU

Wires on Card are looking good

Also hang up with WB 3.1.4 and Kick 3.1.4 after clean install

My last tries are:

Clean WB 3.1 with Kick 3.1

FFS instead of PFS3

Jens, is it possible to send the Turbocard back to You for testing?

Also I have a older version of 1233n-40 card without IDE speeder function. Is it possible to upgrade the card?

regards

Peter

• and PSU with Meanwell 3rd party PSU

That's no good for an Amiga - bad regulation, cross-regulation trouble and insufficient voltage inside the Amiga.

Jens, is it possible to send the Turbocard back to You for testing?

Sure - this may, however, reveal that your IDE devices are just not capable to handle the speed.

Also I have a older version of 1233n-40 card without IDE speeder function. Is it possible to upgrade the card?

Yes, that's possible for the price difference of old vs. new card (i.e. 59,94 EUR). Shipping comes on top if your other card turns out to be just fine (otherwise we'll pay for the repair and shipping, which could be joined with the return of the upgraded card).

• That's an interesting result - yet another proof that the currently-available 3rd party PSUs are not suitable for the Amiga.

Your Commodore PSUs also having trouble might just be related to them being old (electrolytic caps dried out after all these years) or just being under-powered.

I have a PSU replacement in the works that addresses all troubles that old and current 3rd-party PSUs have. Your setup might be a good test case.

Consider me very interested. Happy for you to contact me closer to testing or when a product becomes available to purchase/pre-order.

• Happy for you to contact me closer to testing or when a product becomes available to purchase/pre-order.

The current prototype caile CE measurements, and the amount of re-work this requires comes close to a re-design. I started that this week, and won't follow the old prototype any more. Still, the regulation performance (in terms of precision and low-ripple) of this prototype is so good that I have sent it to a customer for testing yesterday. It will be interesting to see his results - note that we're still talking about assuption. A proof for PSUs really being *that* bad is yet to be shown.

• Is the SD adapter from delock?

If it is, then I think i'm using the exact same adapter.

For me this adapter works flawless in both my amiga 1200's with IDE speeder set to the maximum speed. Sysinfo gives me 6553600 bytes per second.

I'm using an aca1233n (68ec030@40Mhz)+RapidRoad and tested the IDE speeder on both my amiga 1200's (rev 1d4 : Normal use and rev 2b, spare, tested for some hours).

Both are recapped with the 4 resistors still in place (no need to remove, there running stable, no issues at all), modulator is removed in favor of an indivision aga mk2cr.

For power i use an original recapped commodore a500 PSU with 4.5 amps on the 5v.

And afcource i'm using kickstart 3.1.4 and os 3.1.4 on all my amiga's.

• The ACA1233n does not have an EEPROM or Flash to store settings in. The ACAtool therefore writes all settings to the startup-sequence and also attempts to read it from there (parses it's own command line). So the operation should just be transparent to the user - as long as there is no other software that torpedos ours, which appears to be the case here.

So I worked out that installing the MMU drivers was why the ACAtool shows everything as default even when the setting are saved in the startup-sequence. With that in mind whats the best way to install the MMU drivers for ACA1233n cards that have one?

• With that in mind whats the best way to install the MMU drivers for ACA1233n cards that have one?

I fear that the only method is to wait for the "ACAinit" tool of the MuTools to be updated to allow ACA1233n register access - it's a bug in that tool.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.