Latest Picasso96 and Mediator drivers

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I've recently updated my Picasso96 to the latest v2.4.3, and noticed that in the Libs/Picasso96 directory, two brand new 3dfxVoodoo.chip and Mediator.card files have appeared. Well, maybe they're not really brand new and I've never noticed them before, but since the installer didn't show me Voodoo as gfx card option during the installation process, being the owner of a Mediator+Voodoo combo I was wondering if they're intended to eventually replace the Voodoo.card I once downloaded from Elbox?

Thank you!

• At this point we have to guess: Since Elbox did their development based on a GPL'd driver (that was originally never meant to be GPL'd), they probably had to publish sources at some point.

The source codes are not part of my agreement with Abt&Kneer, but I got hold of the sources somehow. If the GPL part is true, I might have to publish the sources myself, but I'd rather not take any responsibility for these drivers. Do the files work for you? How do they compare to the files that come with Mediator? I don' t have one to test...

• Hey Jens,

and thanks a lot for your reply!

I could clearly do some trial and error to figure out how these new drivers work, but if you could give me some hints on how to configure the Mediator.card to work together with the 3dfxVoodoo.chip I'd really appreciate them.

AFAIR making the Elbox driver work with the official Picasso96 installation was a bit of a hack, in that you had to install another gfx card and then rename files, maybe I should try copying their same approach...

• Like I wrote, I don't have a Mediator, and I really don't want one. Since I have only seen a Mediator in the flesh "fully installed" at meetings, I don't have any experience in setting them up either. This is really the wrong place to discuss Mediator things, I'm afraid.

• Hello. I just purchased P96 to use om my A1200 and during the installation it asked what graphics card I have. As far as I know the A1200 doesn't have a graphics card so is P96 compatible with a stock A1200?

Thanks

• Like I wrote, I don't have a Mediator, and I really don't want one. Since I have only seen a Mediator in the flesh "fully installed" at meetings, I don't have any experience in setting them up either. This is really the wrong place to discuss Mediator things, I'm afraid.

Hello Jens,

I think you misunderstood me: I wasn't asking about specific Mediator things, but rather about two Picasso96 drivers found in the latest released Picasso96 archive which seem to be specific to the Mediator and the pci gfx cards you put in there, so some actual documentation on how to use them would have been nice.

I still haven't found the time, but as soon as I have some spare time I'll try to do some tests myself and see if I can make my Amiga use them instead of the Elbox Voodoo.card it's seemingly currently still using.

• The number of downloads only changes if you actually download. However, all downloads are cancelled if the purchase is more than one year old.

If your purchase is less than one year ago, I can of course set the counter up again (it sometimes counts, although a local virus checker inhibits the download). Let me know the order ID in that case.

• So, better never than late, I finally made the test, and unfortunately here's the message that pops up when I double click on the monitor icon:

Nothing fancy in the tooltype configuration, I made it only point to the Mediator.card found in the P96 archive with following line:

BOARDTYPE=Mediator

From SnoopDos output, it seems to me that the Voodoo is correctly detected, but for some unknown reason P96 fails to properly start its driver:

• This file is not included in our archive. You should get it from the author of the Voodoo drivers.

Jens, if you look just 2 lines below, you'll see that the file was actually found and loaded from another position:

Code
    1. 99 ramlib Load LIBS:picasso96/3dfxVoodoo.chip OK

And not sure why you're saying I should get the driver elsewhere, when 3dfxVoodoo.chip file is indeed in the Picasso96.lha archive (please see line #50 below):

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.