ACA500plus not booting when CF card is in AUX slot

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi Jens,

I don't know if it's expected behaviour but it's tripped me up a couple of times since getting my ACA500plus (which I love by the way, thank you).

If a CF card is in AUX slot when trying to reboot my A500 (rev 5 NTSC), it just hangs at a black screen never seeming to do anything. However once the card is removed then it happily boots without issue and otherwise everything about the AUX slot performs wonderfully.

Thanks

_Troy

• Might be a specialty of the root block contents: If the card was Amiga-formatted before and was then re-formatted on the PC (or vice versa), it may result in the software attempting to mount two partitions where there's only one.

Does this happen with all FAT-formatted cards, or just a specific one?

• I don't believe it was formatted Amiga, although the two cards I'm using right now are exactly the same so it's possible I may have done the WB install and then switched them at some point when I messed something up. I did format it as FAT afterwards though and built the partition label up myself so I wouldn't think there's anything valid to boot from.

I haven't tried a different card yet since it's just a relatively minor thing. I'll give a couple of other cards a shot tonight and see what happens.

_Troy

• If you keep having problems with that one card, it would be nice if we had a copy of the first few blocks, so we can investigate why the system hangs on startup. It might have something to do with the auto-mounter - while you appear to be sure that there's nothing valid to boot from, the auto-mounter might have a different opinion about that. As usual, we need to be able to replicate the problem here before we can fix it.

• Hi Jens,

Had a look at the FS and there was indeed remnants of an Amiga FS and was likely tripping up the ACA500plus. It was reformatted but it wasn't zeroed out so that latent data was still being read. So I zeroed out the CF and then reformatted and all seems to be good now.

Sorry to bother, thanks again

_Troy

• Did you back up the first few blocks of that card before overwriting it with zeros? We may be able to write a workaround, so the ACA500plus can ignore such defective/half-overwritten partitions in the future.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.