Dead ACA620?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello from Sweden.

Today my 600 crashed and refused to start.

I started it if I did not use acatune for maprom and maxmem but it runs only in 7Mhz but found as a 68EC020 and finds those 5Mbyte memory without maxmem.

What could have happened?

// Mike

• This sounds technically impossible, as the 68ec020 is clocked asynchronously.

If memory works, then the base clock of the card, which is 50MHz, is running. The CPU clock is derived from that by a simple divide-by-three, so 16.67MHz.

If you are now measuring 7MHz CPU clock, then the main crystal would have to have a *very* specific defect of running at roughly 21MHz. I have my doubts that this is the case.

How did you measure the CPU clock frequency?

• OK. Its nothing i have measured but i tested it with sysinfo (i know its not accurate) and that says 7MHz.

And the reason i tested is that i cant use all the memory and its slow (fells slower than a stock 600) and its freezing very often.

kind regards/Micke

• Is the ACA620 mounted with the additional screw in the HD-holder slot hole? Frequent crashes may be caused by bad grounding, which is why we've introduced the same screw-and-spacer solution that we've used for the ACA630 before, as the additional grounding that this srew provides turned out to be mandatory.

For a "proper" measurement of the frequency, can you start the computer without startup-sequence and launch Sysinfo or AIBB from shell? This excludes other programs from interferring.

• The grounding screw is in its place.

I have tested without startup-sequence and Sysinfo, same results as earlier.

Probably its dead, i have used it for over four years and the A600 is recaped two months ago and all has been working great until now.

//Micke

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.