2016 Aca 1233n 40mhz random crashes (timing fix issue?)

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Greetings

I own a 2016 ACA 1233n 40mhz Board that possible i need to apply the timing fix at the amiga 1200 1d board.

It has random crashes (will show a video where it crashes around 2:15). Some whdload games i cant run with the aca 030 it crashes nearly at start ( rocket ranger for example ). If i disable 030cpu with the aca tools, it runs fine without crashing with only the 8mb but no pcmia

I will attach a video and photos of psu and the set. i dont know where i see the warranty id of the board on it, but i believe i bought it at from july to September of 2017, so warranty is run ouT. I tried 3 psu, all the same results.

PSU photo

Amiga set

Crash video example

Any help will be appreciate including technical scheme of how to do the timing fix on the board

Many thanks

Antonio

• Your PSU is an ATX type. That's the worst thing you can do - the technical data you've pictures shows that the power on the 12V wail is 120W, while power on the 5V rail is only 100W, so the main regulation rail is 12V. In other words: The PSU is not suitable for the Amiga, as that has it's main consumption on the 5V rail. 12V is not loaded at all (some 10mA ignored that the Amiga needs for disk, serial and audio), which affects regulation of the 5V rail in a negative way. Further, that PSU is not using a sense wire for compensating losses on the cable and in the input coil. Once again, that PSU is not suitable for an Amiga.

Please use the original PSU. Even if it's just the 3A version, it will most likely power the Amiga just fine. If you then add a powered USB hub, you'll be just fine.

I can't watch the video (login needed, but I won't give evil Google that data), but you will most likely have better luck with the original PSU.

For further support, please also mention the warranty ID of your ACA1233n.

• Found the warranty id, Just took it off... was beneath the RTC connected:

Warranty ID: aT026

i already test with 3 psu (with the original PSU of Amiga 500 and Amiga 1200 and this one that i though it was more powerful, it was the model from amigakit ). Will change it back to the A1200 original but has It has the same result of Random crashes, that was the reason i bought this one, to try to see if it was a matter of power.

Maybe now video works

Video of random crash

Thanks

Antoniok

• I can see in your picture that you're using a long cable to the CF card adapter, but without a buffered adapter - bad idea. Unbuffered address and data lines over such a long cable are just an accident waiting to happen.

The card was delivered in july 2017, and there was no support case with it so far, so I have to assume that it worked fine ince it was delivered. Now that you're seeing occasional crashes, did you change anything on the system? If so, what was changed?

• Not really, the card had always random freezes, i never know when it happens, it can be ok for an hour or just for some minutes, depends of what im doing but i think it increased with the rapidboard installed. Poseidn. I just always thought was the timing fixes to do, and will do it someday... when i change it back to the 020 with the aca tool it works fine with whdload with no crashes so i didnt put much effort in solving it so its just a matter for me to try to fix this random crashes with the 030. That is why im questioning where can i find a scheme to do the timing fixes. Or you put aside that this is not a timing fixes issue?

For example i can have the mp3 playing from the CF card and have no crashes... for hours

I can see in your picture that you're using a long cable to the CF card adapter, but without a buffered adapter - bad idea” u mean the cable that goes from mk2cr with the dvi exit? Its the only long cable i remember there. Im not an expert on this.

Thanks for the support,

Antonio

• u mean the cable that goes from mk2cr with the dvi exit?

No, I mean what I wrote: The cable from main board to CF card and adapter. That's longer than required and unbuffered.

If only WHDload is the problem, please double-check that the "NoAutoVec" tooltype is set - either in the games that you play, or in global settings of WHDload.

• Its not only whdload, i can boot the computer and crash while i open system briefcase for example. Its random crash, computer just freeze. I cant tell u when it crashes, in the example video, i was at sensible soccer, went out, and crash it when i go back to contents at aglaunch

Are u talking about the cable from mainboard to cf adapter where is the card with the HDD files? So how do i connect the CF Card to use as HDD?

If not, please attach a picture to explain me

Thanks

Antonio

• Are u talking about the cable from mainboard to cf adapter where is the card with the HDD files?

Yes, that cable should be as short as possible.

"random crashes" may very well happen due to insufficient voltage or high ripple on the PSU. Do you have a possibility to measure voltages precisely, maybe also measure ripple with an oscilloscope?

• Hmmm i can try to get the shortest cable for the cf card, any you have in mind that u can recommend i appreciate it

Mine is this size: Cable photo

I can try at job at maintenance staff measuring voltage. They are experts at tv equipment, i can try it

So u bet on voltage, psu issues, then timing fixes to do right?

I have also a amiga 500, with aca 500 plus, if i can do any test with the aca1233n connect to with let me know...

I dont believe it is the card, something is causing a issue with it

• I can try at job at maintenance staff measuring voltage. They are experts at tv equipment, i can try it

Please have them measure at the floppy-power connector. It would be great to have a screenshot of an oscilloscope, so ripple can be seen. However, a precise voltage reading will already show a lot.

As for timing fixes, they are described in our Wiki. Unlikely to be required for the ACA1233n, but they don't hurt either:

http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/ACA1…uired_board_modifications

I have also a amiga 500, with aca 500 plus, if i can do any test with the aca1233n connect to with let me know...

Just connect the card and see if that setup is more stable.

• Will do that.

Also can it be a bad cap? What do you think? It only have trouble with 030, not with it disable and running 020 with 8mb from the board.

What do u think i can explore more to understand?

Thanks

Antonio

• Jens,

as a sidenote, where is the best place to measure the voltage to check for good/not-so-good/bad PSU ? in other words, where to place the red probe exactly ?

(excuse the thread hijack)

• Also can it be a bad cap? What do you think?

Absolutely - A1200 boards are known to have leaking electrolytic caps after all these years, and that affects stability. With the 030 in idle mode, power consumption is less and things are not as critical any more, so leaked caps may not play a role.

as a sidenote, where is the best place to measure the voltage to check for good/not-so-good/bad PSU ?

See my post#11.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.