BigRam 2630 problems

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi, I've got some problems with my recently bought BigRam 2630.

My configuration is an Amiga 2500 Rev 6.2 with an A2630 Rev 9 (v7 ROMs) 2Mb, Buddha IDE (also tested without).

Sometimes the amiga shows a white screen, sometimes Guru Meditation #00000004.00001970, and sometimes it boots Workbench (1.3), shows me the correct amount of memory, and then stops responding.

Do you have any idea what might be going on, and what my next step to get the memory working should be?

• Hi Jens,

It's a (never overclocked) 25MHz model.

I've removed the 68882, and now everything seems to work ok. I've read elsewhere that it's a capacitance problem, and either the copro or memory beyond the 2MB causes problems. Is there any way to make the card work with the 68882 connected? I could do without the 2MB, but would really like to use the 68882, is desoldering the onboard memory of the a2630 going to help?

• I could do without the 2MB, but would really like to use the 68882, is desoldering the onboard memory of the a2630 going to help?

It is likely that this helps, yes. However, I did try to slow down memory access in order to make 4M and CoPro work at the same time, but was not successful, so the power supply remains the single most influantial variable: Most customers who had trouble got everything to work stable by either using a different PSU, or exchanging the capacitors on the 5V rail of the PSU.

• Ok, the power supply might indeed be the problem, machine is still not stable enough to make it through an install of NetBSD :(

I'll update this post when I've replaced all capacitors in my power supply.

• Hi Jens,

My 2630 doesn't have the full 4MB it's a 2MB model. I've replaced all relevant caps in the power supply, which seems to improve stability. But the combination of the 68882 and the BigRam doesn't even boot reliably, and when it does, guru's after a few seconds.

Peter

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.