ACA500+ with ACA1233n questions

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

I have both of these and started playing around with them yesterday. I have a few questions on how they operate together

1) ROM mapping and VBR move:
    These functions are available from the aca500+ profiles and with acatool which configures the start sequence.. I prefer to use the profiles as its easier to switch the functions on and off at boot time. Is there any disadvantage to doing this vs startup-sequence?

2) Do you still need the aca1233n library when using acatool? If so, for what? The wiki says the acatool contains most of the library functionality. Do they conflict in anyway?

3) Does anything need to be done to enable the MMU?

4) What is the difference in aca500+ settings between the regular VBR move setting and the one with NMI

Thanks!

• 1) ROM mapping and VBR move:
    These functions are available from the aca500+ profiles and with acatool which configures the start sequence.. I prefer to use the profiles as its easier to switch the functions on and off at boot time. Is there any disadvantage to doing this vs startup-sequence?

There is no disadvantage at all. You even have the advantage of being able to save settings in the ACA500plus EEPROM. This possibility is not given for operation of the ACA1233n in an A1200 computer.

2) Do you still need the aca1233n library when using acatool? If so, for what? The wiki says the acatool contains most of the library functionality. Do they conflict in anyway?

You don't need it, but it is being used if available. At this point, we do not continue to develop the library, as it poses too much overhead for a tool that is launched in the startup-sequence.

3) Does anything need to be done to enable the MMU?

Just launch a program that makes use of the MMU. Very few Amiga programs actually do - that's mostly debugging tools as contained in MuTools or the classic "enforcer" tool. If you have never required their functionality before, then doing a random install will only reduce your system performance. Please note that MuTools currently conflict with ACAtool - we're working on that.

4) What is the difference in aca500+ settings between the regular VBR move setting and the one with NMI

"NMI protect" is actually not described in our Wiki - thanks for the hint!

On normal Amiga computers, NMIs (short for "non-maskable IRQ) never happen. We use an NMI for the freezer and debugger function (Action Replay 3 or HRTmon). I can currently only speculate about the "NMI protect" feature, need to talk to the programmer what's really behind it. Knowing that a normal Amiga installation will just crash/hang if an NMI happens, I'd assume that the "NMI protect" feature installs a small NMI service routine that returns to normal operation without doing anything useful.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.