ROM update not working

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello,

I have the Buddha 20th anniversary edition in my A2000.

When I try to update to the latest ROM i get the following error in the buddhaflashtool:

Buddhaflashtool Buddha_ROM_52-101.bin

rom loaded. crc f1eed6c4

flashing now....

write error address $0e00

error flashing rom - possibly flash protection is on?

Now i have read the wiki and have tried holding the left button down until the system starts to boot (i do not see a gren/black flashing screen, but maybe this is because i have an indivision ecs?) to try and remove the software write protection.

It does not seem to matter when i release the left button, when flashing with the latest rom from the wiki i always have the same error flashing.

I have tried extracting the file in windows and on the amiga in case there was something weird happening with extraction but same issue.

i made sure i have the latest 1.14 flash tool as well, and tried the remove pretect bit and initial options.

The most odd thing is i did previously update the ROM to a later version about 6 months ago after i updated the CPLD, and i have found that if i use the backup option of flashtool to backup the current in rom contents, i am then able to flash that back into the chip with no problem.

I am trying to flash Buddha_52-101.lha Buddha ROM binary file; bug fix of may 6th, 2019

The buddha has a socketed atmel flash rom.

There are no other expansion cards in the system, and all the zorro slots are extremely clean (yes i have tried flashing in different slots also).

Apart from that I am able to boot to the buddha installer and install a hard drive as expected, i just wanted the latest fixes etc.

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.:)

• Are you maybe using a mouse adapter that cannot pass buttons pressed so early after startup? Older versions of Micromys had that problem; you had to move the mouse constantly while pressing the button, otherwise the mouse would not send data packets to the adapter.

• Hi,

I have too this protected flash problem (two new Buddha 20th) and must flashing extra in programmer. After this works all fine.

CPLD upgrade OK.

Original A4000D without any mouse adapter.

Regards, Sveta

• The documentation may have right/left mouse button swapped. Please try the other one. Also, this really only works on a power-cycle. It does not work on a reset. Once protection is set, there is no write access to the flash.

and i have found that if i use the backup option of flashtool to backup the current in rom contents, i am then able to flash that back into the chip with no problem.

If there is no change, then the tool won't see any write protection, because the verify process is successful :-)

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.