ACA500plus autoconfig board not found

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello,

I just received an ACA500Plus purchased second hand from Amibay and at first glance everything looks to be okay, but either there's something wrong with it or the settings are messed up.

My Amiga 500 (rev5) boots up just fine to the ACA500plus menu and I can change and save settings, but I get a Guru Meditation every time I try to boot to KS3.1. F1 eventually boots to Guru, F7 boots to Guru. Strangely enough, KS1.3 basic configuration boots up just fine.

More info about my system: A500 rev5, KS1.3, no trapdoor expansion, no floppy drive. Basically a stock A500.

ACA500Plus ROM v0.110

At bootup Dismo scrolls through some numbers, but then stops and stays at 0_ with _ flashing all the time. Pressing the button on Dismo does nothing.

Zorro contacts cleaned and no help.

Can't update firmware/rom as trying to flash boots....surprise to guru. :(

Cycling through pages with TAB into "Autoconfig Information" there reads:
    ACA500Plus autoconfig board not found

Possible cause: your system contains incompatible expansions.

Warranty: fTydD

Any and all help is appreciated!

BR,

Rontti

• At bootup Dismo scrolls through some numbers, but then stops and stays at 0_ with _ flashing all the time. Pressing the button on Dismo does nothing.

Sounds like the button is stuck. The "0_" (with the underscore blinking) is "de-brick mode", only reached when you press and hold the button for multiple seconds without interruption. You should never see that unless you deliberately press and hold the button.

• Sounds like the button is stuck. The "0_" (with the underscore blinking) is "de-brick mode", only reached when you press and hold the button for multiple seconds without interruption. You should never see that unless you deliberately press and hold the button.

Thank you for the reply.

The button is still clickable and it makes a little audible "click" when pressed, but I guess it's possible it's somehow stuck?

Now how do I unstuck it? :)

• The button is still clickable and it makes a little audible "click" when pressed, but I guess it's possible it's somehow stuck?

Now how do I unstuck it?

It's a used unit, and out of warranty (shipped january 2017), so you're safe to cut the silicone that holds the DisMo and detach it from the main board. Be careful not to scratch the PCB.

Look for shorts, double-check that one of the pins of the button is cut open (that's factory-default, should be visible from the top) and the wire link at the bottom of the button is still there. Anyone else reading this: The cut-open pin and wire link are only for the old DisMo with the "small" display. The "Big Dismo" does not require any modifications to work.

• Alright, sounds like I need a steady set of hands for this one, but I will give this a go when I get back home from work.

And if for some reason this doesn't work I can ship the card to you for repairs? For a price of course.

• Hey Jens!

I took another look at the card yesterday evening and it seems the card has taken some physical abuse either from the previous owner or the post office.

The small PCB that holds the Dismo is slightly tilted to the left and from what I can see at least 1 of the connector pins is NOT making contact with the main PCB. This is propably the reason for the weird behavior and error message?

Would you say it's safe to try to make the pins make full contact by bending it slightly? Would this solve my issues?

Thanks again!

BR,

Rontti

• The pins that you see in the right part of the picture do not make contact - they can, but they don't have to, because the so-called "bottom-entry" connectors do that with the header that connects both PCBs.

The picture indicates that the card did take some abuse, but the interesting part would be seen if you take a picture from the opposite side. While you're at it, you might want to take a closeup of the button as well. Good picture quality BTW!

• Just a little bit lower with the camera - I don't see the pins of the button. I suspect that they have been pushed into the ACA500plus board and they make a short there.

• Hey Jens,

I'll quickly return to this matter to say I have resolved it.

The button on the bottom of the dismo WAS making a short on the mainboard and I fixed this by adding a small layer of rubber between them.

Thank you for your help!

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.