Indivision ECS V2 720x576@50Hz

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

Is it possible to get a perfect 720x576@50Hz resolution on this device? I've tinkered alot and cannot seem to replicate the same results I get with the ECS V1 in 50Hz mode. 720x576@50Hz is the best way to show the full overscan area correctly. I have the latest firmware and software. All the 50Hz modes that comes with it does not show the whole overscan area and some of them have issues with patterns which makes the scanlines look wrong.

• I'd increase the output resolution, so the scaler does not introduce patterns. Try to double the output resolution.

Hello. I have already tried that (1440, above and below on the output resolution. Cannot seem to replicate the nice 720x576 result I get with the ECS V1. Screens used are BenQ BL702A and BL 912. Maybe a future firmware/software will have a nice profile like this?

• Also, what's the settings/real resolution for the 62Hz profile on the ECS V1? Would also like to replicate that one because it shows the full overscan area and fill more of the screen than the standard 800x600@72Hz profile on the ECS V2. the 800x600 profile on the V2 has very nice picture quality and shows the full overscan but the picture is a bit small

Edit: the 800x600 profile on the ECS V2 does not show the whole overscan area. Arkanoid is a good test. And there is a small bit missing on the right side of the screen.

So to sum up the ECS V1 and ECS V2:

ECS V1: Has two profiles. One for 50Hz and one for 62Hz. Both of them shows the whole overscan area correctly. However, the ECS V1 has issues with the 50Hz settings not sticking on cold boot. Today I even had it boot to the 50Hz profile when it was saved at 62Hz profile. LOL. never seen that happen before. Usually it's the 50Hz profile that has issues at coldboot

ECS V2: Non of the profiles seems to show the whole of the Amiga overscan area correctly. Seems like V2 is more focused on trying to fill the screen instead of showing the overscan area correctly. Making many games not show up correctly. However, the V2 does not seem to have any problems remembering the settings.

To sum it up: If V2 had the two profiles the V1 has and showing up the same way the V2 would be perfect.

• Also, in the game disposable Hero there are blinking vertical bars on both left and right side of the screen with the 800x600@72Hz. This does not happen on the ECS V1. ECS V2 needs some profiles with fully working overscan

Edit: I managed to almost replicate ECS V1 62Hz mode by using the 800x600@72Hz and doubling the output resolution to 1600 instead of 800 then finetune the clocks according to how they look in ECS V1 tool user mode. This forces my BenQ BL 702A to switch to 1024x600 (same happens with ECS V1) and look almost identical to how the same monitor looks on the ECS V1 (pattern and everything). What becomes clear from this is that the ECS V2 is indeed missing a few pixels on the right side which can only be fixed by a new firmware. This is why we see in games like Arkanoid it's missing a few pixels on the right side and probably also causes the blinking on left and right side when playing Disposable Hero.

Also, the ECS V1 seems to have a tad sharper picture. But this could be due to that V1 being installed in an A500 and the V2 in one of my A600s. I also have another A600 with an ECS V1 so need to test more. Could also be due to my two BL 702A's being slightly different with regards to picture quality. So more testing needs to be done.

• We did work on the overscan area - first thing you should do is to install the latest core that comes with the latest flash tool.

The Indivision ECS V1 settings are not that easy to replicate, as they were hardcoded in the core, and they were floating with the input from the Amiga. This is a horrible thing to have if you use a flat screen - it's good for a CRT, but I doubt that anyone is still using CRTs. So you better play with the config tool until you get the right picture - once that's saved, it won't "float away" with varying screen modes of the Amiga.

Timm might want to take a look at your mentioned test cases Arkanoid and Disposable Hero.

• We did work on the overscan area - first thing you should do is to install the latest core that comes with the latest flash tool.

The Indivision ECS V1 settings are not that easy to replicate, as they were hardcoded in the core, and they were floating with the input from the Amiga. This is a horrible thing to have if you use a flat screen - it's good for a CRT, but I doubt that anyone is still using CRTs. So you better play with the config tool until you get the right picture - once that's saved, it won't "float away" with varying screen modes of the Amiga.

Timm might want to take a look at your mentioned test cases Arkanoid and Disposable Hero.

thanks for the answer. I am using the latest firmware/software. Still the issues mentioned with Arkanoid and Disposable Hero are there. And I am only using flatscreens. BenQ BL702A/BL 912.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.