ACA500Plus for Amiga 1000?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I'm looking for a memory expansion for my Amiga 1000. I also have an external GOTEK drive but no other hardware, except the 256KB standard expansion in the front slot.

Since I wanted to have a memory expansion up to 8MB I was stumbling upon the ACA500plus. Before I purchase it, I would like to know if it is fully compatible with the A1000, or if I have to do some hardware modifications (out of question). I suppose it will also work with the GOTEK drive or are there some known problems?

Since I mostly find information about A500, I'm not sure if I can use this on my A1000 box. Also is there a case included or does it have to be purchased separately?

• Since I wanted to have a memory expansion up to 8MB I was stumbling upon the ACA500plus. Before I purchase it, I would like to know if it is fully compatible with the A1000, or if I have to do some hardware modifications (out of question).

Although there are customers who are operating the ACA500plus on the A1000 (they even published videos on YT), it's not covered by product support. It has been developed as an A500 expansion, and with so many people having installed the card the wrong way round, I have to recommend to not connect the ACA500plus to the A1000 at all.

It's not practical either: Although the display is still facing up, the numbers will read reversed, and the CF cards will have to be inserted from the back. Convenient operation is something different :-)

• Wouldn't it be possible to build a small Adapter which just extends the existing board and can flip it 180 degree?

No. The bus load on the A1000 is much higher, and you will always be "on the edge" with such a contraption. If you don't have an A500, the ACA500plus is not a good choice for you.

There's an open support case here in the forum where a British company has built a slot-adapter board for the A500 and tried it with the ACA500plus. On their first computer it appeared like it worked, and now it's not working at the customer's sites. What they did is exactly what you are suggesting here: "Just run the signals to a slot and hope that it works".

Computers are more complex than that. An engineer's job should only be done by an engineer.

• on my A1000

That's your specific A1000 with your specific ACA500plus. The card has been developed for an A500 and therefore cannot be guaranteed to work on A1000s. So it's not "reporting blasphemy", it's merely reporting your own, non-transferrable case.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.