ACA500Plus (hw: $09, fw v0.129) doesn't reconize my 68010 cpu

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi, I have an Amiga500+, upgraded with 2MB chip.

My ACA500Plus (hw: $09, fw: v0.129) shows that my CPU is a 68000 (after pressing TAB on the mainpage).

It's actually a 68010 (as also printed on the cpu itself;)).

Why is this ocurring and what are the downsides of this situation?

And how can it be fixed? ;)

Regards,

Martijn

• Ah, but I thought the menu-option: F10 -> U (CPU switch) would make it possible to switch to the onboard CPU.

If I use the ACA1221ec on my ACA500Plus, does that change then which cpu is used? Or is the aca500plus cpu still used then?

• If I use the ACA1221ec on my ACA500Plus, does that change then which cpu is used? Or is the aca500plus cpu still used then?

If used with the ACA1221ec, the 68ec020 CPU is active all the time. Switching back to the 68sec000 is not possible with that card.

The ACA500plus cannot use the internal A500 CPU at all. The option for CPU switching is only for the ACA1233n, which can switch the 68030 CPU off - that's fairly complicated logic, only introduced with the ACA1233n. No other accelerator before has shown that the CPU can be switched off (and back on again with the latest ACA1233n models), and even keep memory available to the A1200 (not the ACA500plus, though).

You might as well remove the 68k CPU from the A500 main board. The only thing missing is the E-Clock signal, but even that can be generated by the ACA500plus (by closing the solder jumper near U24).

• Ok, thanks for the explanation!

A bit off-track, but... Are there more benefits of attaching a ACA1233n to my ACA500Plus, other then:

- Faster CPU (with or without MMU)

- More memory

- Additional clock-port

There seems to be a page missing on "Features of attaching an ACA1233n on an ACA500Plus" a.k.a. "Why you should buy an ACA1233n for your ACA500Plus". There is some info on the producs page, but not so specific. And I couldn't fins any in the forums or wiki

• A bit off-track, but... Are there more benefits of attaching a ACA1233n to my ACA500Plus, other then:

- Faster CPU (with or without MMU)

- More memory

- Additional clock-port

I guess the biggest advantage is that you can switch between 68sec000 and 68030 without removing the card from the ACA500plus. Further, the ACA1233n can be clocked at different speeds for example for testing software on slower machines (if you're a developer).

The IDE speeder function is not available on the ACA500plus, because that is already giving 32-bit wide access to the CF cards, resulting in about the same transfer speeds that you can reach with the accelerated A1200-IDE.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.