Accelerator for Amiga 2000

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • There is still a plan to make an A2000-version of the ACA500plus. I already have a few drawings, even purchased a few sample parts for testing if the intended mechanical solution is viable, but stopped those efforts in favour of other projects that shall all be finished before Xmas 2018.

• Hi Mr Jens. Thanks. I really hope to see a powerful accelerator, may be more powerful of the ACA1233n. I really care about the Amiga 2000.

In the while I am waiting for new Indivision ecs to make one order with the new Xsurf 500.

Kind regards

• I assume the sidecar bus of the A500 is a mix of the CPU bus socket and Zorro slots in the A2000? I was rather wondering if it were possible to make a PCB card shim that would interface an A2000 slot to the ACA500 connector.

Of course, this might be in the realm of "it's possible" while also being not at all optimal.

• There's a Polish guy making exactly such a board, but I strongly recommend not to use that. The ACA500plus does NOT handle Zorro expansions at all, only keeps 2M space available.

• I was considering the same thing as above, would you not be able to produce such adapter? Perhaps with a upgrade for Zorro expansion handeling in firmware on the ACA500plus? Those cf slots might be expanded with a cable to a 3.5" bay, except for the freezer function that is.

Could be sold as a nice upgrade set.

Kind regards,

Henk

• As I just wrote in another thread, I'm taking "Amiga things" rather these past few months - ever since it became too obvious that there's a company attempting to destroy the Amiga community. So while I will continue to develop hardware for the Amiga, other things may push Amiga-things down the prio list, so no delivery date for anything new at this point.

• Jens, your products are great and I for one would buy any '030/40/60 accelerator that you make for the A2000.

We A2000 owners are always being left out. It's tough finding an A2630 at a decent price and add the memory module we're looking at some serious $$. And everything else currently out there has a limited amount of fast ram.

• I recently purchased my first Amiga 2000. I would be very interested in purchasing the ACA2000 once it becomes available.

Actually, it is an Amiga 2000HD with the 2091 SCSI card and a 4GB HD. I mention that because any accelerator that I buy would need to be happy in the same machine as the 2091.

Thanks!

• any accelerator that I buy would need to be happy in the same machine as the 2091.

The ACA2000 won't fulfill this requirement, as no A1200 supports DMA. As a result, the ACA2000 won't be able to pass DMA accesses from the 86-pin slot to the A1200 accelerator's memory.

• The ACA2000 won't fulfill this requirement, as no A1200 supports DMA. As a result, the ACA2000 won't be able to pass DMA accesses from the 86-pin slot to the A1200 accelerator's memory.

Do you mean no A2000 supports DMA?

I thought accelerators for an A2000 had memory on the accelerator board. I'm fairly new to Amiga hardware, so I may be confused. I almost bought a Microbotics VXL-30 on eBay. But I didn't because it didn't include a VXL RAM-32 expansion and I read that there would be very little performance benefit since the accelerator could only access memory via the slower bus.

• Do you mean no A2000 supports DMA?

No, that's not what I wrote. The ACA2000 won't be able to support DMA from Zorro into the A1200 accel, but that's what the A2091 would require. Hence the A2091 needs to go, and you should use a CF card or DOM on the ACA2000. It'll be faster and more silent anyway.

• What is DOM? I searched online but didn't find anything related to storage.

It's short for "Disk On Module". These modules are frequently used as a replacement for IDE drives.

Isn’t it possible to disable dma on the 2091? Transfer would be terribly slow but it should work.

DMA is the one and only outstanding feature of the A2091, but other SCSI controllers are sufficiently-fast with PIO-only. I believe that the Guru ROM has a PIO-only option for use with 32-bit accelerators, but you will always hit the Z2-limit of roughly 2.3MB/s. The ACA2000 will either have it's own mass-storage controller, or it'll use a special fast-mode in conjunction with the Buddha to outpoerform any Z2 controller by a factor of 2, so I see very little use for a Z2 SCSI controller.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.