RR-Net MK3

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Is the C128 compatibility issue due to a "noisy expansion port" problem (creates character errors) or is there some other technical limitation of the C128 that requires the carrier card?

• It's really the noisy signal quality. The MMC Replay, Retro Replay and Nordic Replay cards tackle this issue digitally by sampling signals way outside their change-windows, but the cartridge-port interface of RR-Net MK3 is too small to implement that level of error correction.

• Thanks. I have a Mini X-Pander (Arkanix Labs) so I will first try using the RR-Net MK3 with that card and see if it works properly on the C128.

• I have a Mini X-Pander

Looks like that thing is buffering the data bus only, not the address bus, and it does not alter other signals. Can't hurt, and may help if the EEPROM chip on RR-Net MK3 does not have sufficient drive strength to drive the data bus of the - rather huge - C128 board. Please report back!

• Finally got around to testing this, can report that the MK3 works properly on the flat C128 with the Mini X-Pander card. Software = Kipperterm 128 v1.2

• Interesting - thanks for the feedback, but now that you're "on the hook", I'd like to hear a bit more about the "working" state: Does this mean that you can not only use Kipperterm 128, but also the boot rom from RR-Net MK3?

• I tried enabling the boot rom by hold down the C= key during power-up, however on the flat C128 it just returns a black screen in 40c mode. Please let me know if there is some other boot sequence you'd like me to try on the C128.

• On the C128, holding down the C= key on power-up instructs the platform to boot directly into C64 mode. I poked around w/ Go64 and a reload, no luck with that.

• OK, I didn't really expect a buffer to fix the broken C128 timing. The C128 just isn't a C64 - it's just a very good emulator, but on the hardware level, it shows the differences.

• Is there, someplace, a list of terminal programs (like ccgms, striketerm, novaterm, guruterm....etc) which support the RRNet ? I know guruterm does, and it works nice. But now what I have started playing around with my RRnetMK3 I wanna test as much as I can. My goal is to find a terminal program which supports rrnet, punter protocol and preferably also 80cols if possible (but 80col is not a prereq) :)

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.