A1200 ACA1233n - A small issue thats left me dissapointed..

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello, New forum user, not new to Amiga platform or a new customer to Individual Computers

Never had any issues before with any previous hardware that i couldn't resolve however today I have arrived home to greet my new ACA1233n 26 with some joy, first glances where very nice indeed however when i have turned the card over there is quite a heavy flux residue left on the lower side of the board. Quite a thick flux too,

Just a little disappointing because these products are considered to be high quality, as i said before i have had a lot of hardware on and off over the years and have always held IC in high regard when buying hardware.

So question is if i where to clean this flux off using IPA would i be voiding my warranty? just a little concerned that some may reach a warranty sticker on the other side of the board.
    And how "Active" is that flux used when building the boards, if its a low to no activity flux i could just leave it there it just does not look as pretty is all.

not yet installed it as i have yet to remove the capacitors on my 1200, probably wont get round to doing that until Sunday. But i eagerly await a response :)

-Mark-

• So question is if i where to clean this flux off using IPA would i be voiding my warranty?

No, you don't void your warranty if you attempt to clean these residues off. However, I fear that IPA is not strong enough. The PCB quality that we got for the ACA1233n is indeed not as good as for other products, but we only found out about the bad solderability of these when SMD production was already completed, and taking thousands of components from hundreds of accelerators is not economical. So we went for "not nice-looking, but fully working" instead of "nice-looking and losing 100,- EUR per board".

if its a low to no activity flux i could just leave it there it just does not look as pretty is all.

You can leave it, as it does not do any harm. These modern flux mixes are geared towards having the least-possible impact on the environment. We could have had a more pretty outcome with a more active flux, but our contractors refuse to use these (for good reason, that is).

not yet installed it as i have yet to remove the capacitors on my 1200

You may not need to remove the caps, as the ACA1233n has a more tolerant bus interface, as described in the Wiki. I'd install the accelerator first, and only work on the mother board if you really need to (for example if TGtest of AIBB crashes).

• Unit fitted, no issues to report, All tests in AIBB running as expected for the frequency of the 030

thanks for the support, board is stable on a1200 rev 1d4 with E122c E121d not present and E123c and e125c present from factory.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.