Cant remove the install DOM

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

I finally got around to successfully flashing my Buddha and completed installation in my A2000. I am using a 4G Industrial DOM in the first port powered by the Buddha. If I remove the install DOM the Buddha does not recognize the second DOM. I have tried swapping positions of DOM. Changing jumpers and powering the the DOM but nothing works. I have to have the install DOM in the second port for the Industrial DOM to be recognized. Hopefully something simple as I want to add a second 4G DOM but am hesitant I can make it work.

For now I am hiding the volume and am very pleased with performance over the GVP SCSI controller.

Thanks

Doug

• I did perform the CPLD upgrade and the flash update. When I ran the flash update a second time both the CPLD and the rom had been updated.

As I indicated it works with both installed just strange when I remove the 128meg one with the the install the 4G does not boot I go directly to ROM insert drive. If I go to early boot menu no hard drive is indicated.

I may order a different 4G and see if I see same behavior.

Regards

Doug

• Before you spend any more money, try setting the "questionable" DOM to "slave" and see if it behaves any better. Other customers had success with his method, but they are using CF-cards. However, since CF-cards in IDE mode are pretty much the same as a DOM (just a different form factor), you may have the same (buggy) controller chip in your DOM.

• Well interesting progress. The Master/Slave really had no difference. What I did try different was to when I got to 3.1 ROM screen just did 3 finger reset. And it booted. So from a a cold start its not seeing the device but a reset it works. My hardware combination in the 2k is a bit odd. I have a :

6.2 Board

Indivision ECS

GVP Geforce 68030 @50MHZ 8 megs of fast ram, No Drive. Have not disabled SCSI

Buddha,' 4G Industrial DOM

A2091 no drive, disabled boot just using the 2 megs of ram.

Supra ram card for additional 2 megs.

Matze Graphics Card

Multface III for high speed serial port. Need to get network card :)

HxC Floppy emulator

I had a A2630 and the Bigram2630 but via email with you just could not get someone to program it in USA and too expensive to just ship back and forth be cheaper to just buy it again.

Tried pulling everything but the the GVP and Buddha not difference. Its like the DOM is just really slow to initialize. I checked the config options in flash and see that MAXWAIT is set to 255 so I suspect that is the 30seconds as cold bold takes about 30 seconds to fail.

Hopefully information helps. Looking to the add the 2Meg ACE I see in store but starting to think I am pushing luck on what I can get in to an A2k.

Thanks for help

Doug

• ACE2 will not make a difference on the wait, and it won't conflict with any of the expansions you've listed.

The MaxWait option may have a "make-that-faster" setting if it sees 255. Please try setting that to 10 or 15. I would not expect any DOM or CF card controller to take any more than 10 seconds to initialize.

The 30-second wait you're seeing on power-up may be caused by one of your SCSI controllers, which may come *after* the Buddha, depending on the order of cards in the slots.

• I tried the MaxWait setting that had no difference. Only works on a RESET not cold start. I think next I could try removing the GVP accelerator and disabling the SCSI controller but doubt that would address anything other than the 30 second delay. This will probably had to wait until weekend as work is taking over for the week..

*edit* Thanks for assurance on the ACE2 ordered :)

Regards

Doug

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.