RTC Module on ACA1233n connected to ACA500plus

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • As the title says, I have an Amiga 500 Rev 6a with ACE-2 2MB chip, with the new ACA500plus and ACA1233n connected to it. The RTC Module is properly installed on the ACA1233n, and in the ACA500plus boot menu, I have selected A1200 Accel both in the Global F8 menu and the local F10 profile menu. Still, when the computer is first powered on, the module is not seen, and when Workbench 3.1.4 boots up, I can go in the Time Prefs and set the time properly and save, and then when I reset the ACA500plus the RTC shows the module installed.

I have tried the Global and Autodetect settings, but these don't seem to work at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• Jens,

Yes a battery is installed and working fine. As a matter of fact, the RTC module was working perfectly fine every bootup with the ACA1221ec connected to the ACA500plus.

When I switched to the ACA1233n, I moved the RTC module with it. I am indeed using manual setting (1221 Accel. in the menus), but still, upon first bootup, the RTC is not recognized. It is only after a reset that it stays recognized for the remainder of the session. Until a power down.

• Any ideas what might be causing this, Jens ? I'd much rather have the RTC sit on the ACA1233n where it looks much more at home than on the ACA500plus.

In any case, I would just like to understand why this is happening, is part of the ACA1233n not being recognized by the ACA500plus upon cold boot-up when it gets to the boot menu ?

• After a fresh power up (when it'the RTC module is not working for you), please go to the TAB screen: What status is shown for RTC there? There's also a number after "RTC", please report that as well.

• Hello Jens,

after the fresh power up, it shows: RTC 4: Not detected.

The global and local settings are manually set to A1200 Accel for the RTC module.

But upon reset after a successful workbench power-up, I get: RTC 4: Oki (0)

• Hi Jens,

I’m experiencing the same problem on a similar setup: A500 with ACE2, ACA500Plus, ACA1233n with RTC module plugged in. On cold boot, the RTC is not detected, on a reboot it’s detected as RTC 4 (global and profile both configured to use the RTC on the 1233). As I have an x-surf connected to the ACA500, I can’t use its clockport... Any idea?

Thanks!

• As I have an x-surf connected to the ACA500, I can’t use its clockport... Any idea?

The clock port is of course accessible with the X-Surf-500 installed. The networking card is merely keeping you from installing the RTC module the wrong way round :-I

The programmer reported back that he cannot reproduce the issue. My question would be how you reproduce it: Do you really boot to WB and the go back to the menu, or do you just press reset while still in the menu and the RTC is seen?

• Hi Jens,

Thanks for your response. Good thing that the network card prevents me from installing it the wrong way round - as both accelerators are in a housing, I would have definitely installed it incorrectly (it interferes with the housing when I try to install it correctly).

The rtc is only detected after a boot into Workbench. Merely resetting from the menu leaves it undetected.

• Could you please attempt a start without startup-sequence (which ends in the CLI window), then do a reset to return to the menu and see if that makes the RTC appear?

• Although the boot doesn’t end in a CLI window (cold profile boot with both mouse buttons and selecting ‘boot with no startup-sequence’ takes me back to the ACA menu), the rtc *does* appear.

• We still have trouble reproducing this. Could you both please report back if you have a black or a red RTC module? There may be different versions of the RTC chip on them. And if your RTC is a totally different one, please also report that. We can't get to the bottom of this unless we can reproduce the issue.

• Hi...it's somewhat enigmatic, however the clockport is generally a little astounding with regards to direction, as can be seen from the two separate "pin 1" markers on the ACA load up. The first clockport on the A1200 doesn't have a pin 1, it has pins 19-40, and various producers put things in various directions. In the A1200, the RTC module focuses towards you and fits pleasantly around the ROM attachments (thus the L shape). The ACA has a similar direction yet without the ROMs as a guide. It could truly have a type of stamping, on either the ACA or the RTC module.

• Hi...it's somewhat enigmatic, however the clockport is generally a little astounding with regards to direction, as can be seen from the two separate "pin 1" markers on the ACA load up.

There is no "pin 1" on a clock port. Numbering starts at 19 and it ends at 40. The red marker of a cable goes to pin#40 on all iComp products ever since we were the first to intruduce hardware for this port in 1996. Hence, there can be no pin#1 marker on any ACA card.

What you're referring to in terms of A1200 boards is plain assembly errors. The ports don't work if they are left-aligned.

It could truly have a type of stamping, on either the ACA or the RTC module.

I did think about using a large capacitor as "key" for something that goes on the clock port, but on many boards, other components are in the way. It's on the "want to attempt this" list for the next A1200 accelerator, though.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.