Playing mono tunes as dual mono in Stereo SID configuration as an option

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello,

would be possible to add in future fw relase an option when the audio is set to StereoSID configuration to switch via long RESTORE key press to dual mono? The reason is due to the playback of the stadard tunes, where only one channel is played and you had to use somekind a L/R channel joint to and when stereo is played to split it up.This solution is a bit annoying.

• The hardware does allow the option you're asking for, so the technical possibility to do this is given. However, implementing this is a different story - I guess the best approach would be to allow two gloabel SID configurations and switch between them - this would allow you to switch between all kinds of configs by pressing&holding RESTORE.

I currently won't put that on Peter's todo-list, as that's quite full anyway. Gives us time for discussion :-)

• I had an idea if there would be possible to do an automatic stereo music play based on the selected 2nd SID address activity and with given timeout switch back to dual mono, but not sure how difficult that would be to implement in the CPLD.Regarding the switching, is it possible to fetch a key + RESTORE combo or just RESTORE key?

• Neither key combinations, nor automatic switching with a timeout are an option, as the functionality is split over two different chips of the design: The Micro controller knows when the power-switch "tap" function is used and when the RESTORE key is pressed, but it does not know when "Shift" or other keys are pressed. So the only possible combinations would be "Power-tap and Restore", but that's not very practical, so no option in my opinion. What may be an option is to look at one of the joystick fire button; The micro controller (which does all the SID setup and audio routing) can also see the state of the fire buttons, so they may be used as qualifiers for such a special action. However, this is also of limited pracitcal use, and the original idea of routing the two fire button signals to the MCU was a completely different one.

Further, the MCU does not know when the CPU is accessing an alternate/Stereo SID address, as that's only known to the CPU and the Xilinx chip. There is only very limited information exchange between the two, and such a feature was not planned from the start - so no automatic switching either.

So before you jump to more feature-creeping, we'll have to see if there is a really practical solution to switching between more SID configs. And then we need to find time to implement that :-)

• Neither key combinations, nor automatic switching with a timeout are an option, as the functionality is split over two different chips of the design: The Micro controller knows when the power-switch "tap" function is used and when the RESTORE key is pressed, but it does not know when "Shift" or other keys are pressed. So the only possible combinations would be "Power-tap and Restore", but that's not very practical, so no option in my opinion. What may be an option is to look at one of the joystick fire button; The micro controller (which does all the SID setup and audio routing) can also see the state of the fire buttons, so they may be used as qualifiers for such a special action. However, this is also of limited pracitcal use, and the original idea of routing the two fire button signals to the MCU was a completely different one.

Further, the MCU does not know when the CPU is accessing an alternate/Stereo SID address, as that's only known to the CPU and the Xilinx chip. There is only very limited information exchange between the two, and such a feature was not planned from the start - so no automatic switching either.

So before you jump to more feature-creeping, we'll have to see if there is a really practical solution to switching between more SID configs. And then we need to find time to implement that :-)

Hi Jens,

any chance to implement this from technical point of view simple function? :)

• What you call "simple" was already explained to be "near-impossible" because the required information for this function is not in the place where a decision about the SID setting can be made.

In other words: The guy (=the chip) who toggles the switch does not know what's being played back. He can't possibly make the decision.

• What you call "simple" was already explained to be "near-impossible" because the required information for this function is not in the place where a decision about the SID setting can be made.

In other words: The guy who toggles the switch does not know what's being played back. He can't possibly make the decision.

Now I didn't mean any automated functionality or extra combo keys, forgot to mention that,sorry.Since you are able in the configuration to set the long press of the RESTORE key to swich between SID 1 and 2 (when configured in mono),can this be used to switch them to DUAL MONO only if the STEREO SID option is in use ? (would not make sense otherwise). You are able to control the CS lines of both SID's so in that case you only need to decode both CS lines to base $D400.

• Still busy with Indivision AGA MK3, and after that, we'll go back to the ACA1240/1260. With literally zero feedback from other C64RMK2 users, I fear you're the only person wanting this (previously not advertised) feature. To be honest, the money I'd have to spend on development and testing of this feature will most likely not trigger a singel additional sale. I can therefore hardly push it any higher on the priority list.

• Count me as requesting the same feature, so that's ONE additional sale. Honestly I wouldn't buy specifically for that feature as I'm already interested, but it would be very nice indeed.

• I will also add that if you are serious about increasing sales, I would strongly advise at least a redesign of the front page of your site so that you signature products have a clear image with link to their individual product pages. Right now, to find the Reloaded MK2 you have to look at a giant grid of completely unrelated parts and even if you know exactly what you're looking for, it's very easy to miss.

On top of that, I'd also make sure SEARCH works in English - it doesn't work at all right now and only returns German results.

After all, no one can buy something that can't find - and believe me, it's difficult to land on the product page for the Reloaded MK2 - and even harder to make sure it's the English page.

• Well maybe nobody think of,that when you have two identical SIDs installed to play Stereo SID tunes and you also want to hear classic SID music aswell,that when using the build in Stereo jack in combination with a HiFi system to hear just left speaker I perceive kinda strange.

• Each SID can be configured to be on the left, right or both channels at the same time. So what you perceive as "strange" can be fixed with a setting in the remote control menu.

• Each SID can be configured to be on the left, right or both channels at the same time. So what you perceive as "strange" can be fixed with a setting in the remote control menu.

The strange perception I meant when you have a Stereo setup in front of you from the hearing point of view.Sure you can change these settings for a single SID,but just to play normal/Stereo SID tunes you have to change the settings all the time instead just simply hitting the RESTORE key as my proposed example above.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.