PAL video artifacts on cold boot

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • My reloaded seems to work well but at first boot, I see some video artifacts. The longer it's been powered down, the worse it is.

Is this a dodgy VIC?

Watch the letters.....

https://youtu.be/5-dkzJqOkR0

I do have a few demos that work fine on the Chameleon but crash on reloaded but demos being what they are, I'm not too bothered.

I'll have to double check but I think the Vic is an 8565.

• Stuff that works on chameleon should almost certainly work on the reloaded too (you should infact expect the opposite, some stuff that works on the reloaded will not work on chameleon yet).

It could really be a defective VIC. or perhaps just bad connections... try wiggling the chip carefully left and right in the closed socket, that improves contact.

• The flickering characters flicker between the character left of the "current" position and the actual caracter that belongs there. This may be a simple contact problem of the video chip that leads to address lines being controlled too slow. Try to move the chip sideways in it's socket while it's closed (lever down), this will solve contact problems due to oxidized pins.

• I finally got another PAL Vic and have the same results.

I'm guessing the crashing demos is a separate problem at this point.

Curiously, most of the demos that crash seem to have an error on the SD2IEC box. I swapped SD card with the chameleon just to proove isn't not card or file related. Nope, both card and files work on the chameleon but crash on the reloaded.

Sadly, all of my other c64s are NTSC but I tried some of the failing demos on one any way.

Curiously, they crash at what looks like the same point with what looks like an error on SD2IEC.

I going to assume at this point that the problem is the SD2IEC not playing nicely with the demos rather than the Vic or reloaded board.

As for the dancing characters at boot, I'm at a loss.

It really looks like something warms up and then works properly. Weird.

I'm not terribly bothered by either of these things and will probably just live with it (except maybe get a more accurate 1541 emulator and try the demos again).

But if you're at all curious about these things I'm glad to investigate further. But I'm happy.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.