ACA1233n /26 issues.

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I recently purchased an ACA1233n, and having a few issue's.

Firstly, with the ACA software.

ACASwitchCPU:

When I run ACASwitchCPU (from the icon without any arguments), and choose to disable the turbocards memory, it reboots and gets stuck with a black screen.

If I reset i get guru, and if i turn off the system the Amiga boot as normal.

If i run ACASwitchCPU, but choose not to disaboe the cards memory, it does nothing at all :/

ACASwitchC0Mem:

The system reboots, but does not turn off the 1MB of SlowRAM.

The other issue is memory tests in Systest 1.2.

-- Kickstart Memory Scan --

** 129.0 MB Total Memory Detected **

(Chip 2.0MB -- Fast 126.0 MB -- Slow 1.0MB)

-- Kickstart Memory List --

NR Lower. Upper.

0. 00000000 - 001fffff - Chip 2MB

1. 00c00000 - 00cfffff - Slow 1MB

2. 40000000 - 47dfffff - Fast 126MB

As you can see all ram is detected in Kickstart mem scan and list, however direct mem scan shows 0 Fast!

-- Direct Memory Scan --

** 3.0MB Total Memory Detected **

(Chip 2.0MB -- Fast 0.0MB -- Slow 1.0MB)

Memory Test for chip and slow are fine, but the mem test for fast ( 40000000 - 47dfffff ) hangs/freezes.

My A1200 Specs:

A1200 REV 1D.4

E121C and E122C not present.

E123C and E125C are present.

Amiga-Kit CF IDE HDD (3cm cable).

Original Commodore A1200 3-amp PSU.

I cleaned both sides of the cpu slot/socket contacts with an eraser before installing the ACA1233n. i have a fresh install of WB3.1.4 with BestWB and Update. I Installed MuTools, and the ACA Software.

Questions:

Could the fast memory test issue in SysTest be the E123C and E125C resistors on my board?

Would the MuTools conflict with the ACA1233n software?

(I installed the ACA1233n software after the MuTools, was that the correct way?)

The ACA1233n card seems to be working fine with no crashes in games. I also filled up the RAMDisk in Workbench without any issues.

My only gripe is not being able to utilise the ACA software to put my Amiga back to stock without having to take out the accelerator.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Would the MuTools conflict with the ACA1233n software?

Maybe. As you can see in the ACA1233n register reference, the registers are located in the non-memory area of the Z3 autoconfig space. This means that the MMU list may exclude this from being accessed. Please try to temporarily disable the MMU stuff and see if that makes a difference. If so, we'll put this on the list of things to check when we touch the ACA1233n software next time.

• I, too, am having problems with the ACA1233n/40 and ACASwitchCPU installed on my A1200. The card works perfectly fine, but when I run ACASwitchCPU and chose to disable the onboard memory, the computer gets stuck on a black screen just when it starts rebooting.

If I keep the memory enabled, the computer reboots fine and shows the onboard 68020 and slightly less than. 8MB useable fast RAM which is normal.

I, too, would like to get the A1200 back to its stock state without having to remove the card, if possible.

I tried disabling the MMU and it still does nothing.

My software configuration is v3.1.4 with BestWB updated to 1.1 (it's already pre-installed with MMU). I installed ACA1233n software afterwards, to make sure it updated the MMU configuration.

• I, too, am having problems with the ACA1233n/40 and ACASwitchCPU installed on my A1200. The card works perfectly fine, but when I run ACASwitchCPU and chose to disable the onboard memory, the computer gets stuck on a black screen just when it starts rebooting.

I can now reproduce this problem and also found the cause: If you have MapROM enabled, then the "complete switch-off" does not work, but ends in an endless wait-loop of the 68ec020 CPU.

The workaround is to not activate MapROM, then you can go back to a vanilla A1200 config.

A fix can be made by re-programming the CPLD, which can only be done here. What I'm currently working on is the 55MHz version of the card, and that has a few additional features (one that I'd rate a killer feature, to be revealed later this week when all tests are completed). I will attempt to port these features back to the 40MHz and 26MHz versions, so sending the card back&forth is really worth it.

New features aside, the legal situation is that you have a card that does not work as advertised. If you are not interested in the new features, then re-programming the CPLD will of course be done for free.

• ACASwitchC0Mem:

The system reboots, but does not turn off the 1MB of SlowRAM.

I'm sorry, but I cannot reproduce this, but I have to admit that I am using engineering-tools that are not using the library. We may therefore be looking at a simple software bug that I haven't investigated yet, and will forward to the programmer of the software when he's working on implementing the new 55MHz card.

• Jens,

it is not a problem for me to send the card back to you. My question to you is: is it possible for an additional fee of course to swap my card for a 55MHz one with new features?

• it is not a problem for me to send the card back to you. My question to you is: is it possible for an additional fee of course to swap my card for a 55MHz one with new features?

The 55MHz card is a lot more expensive than the 40MHz version, because a) we can hardly find non-fake-50MHz CPUs, b) development of the new features must be paid for and c) adding the new features requires two patch-wires to be soldered (which is most visible, but probably the smallest part of the cost). I have currently set the price to 379,92 EUR including VAT, which may not apply to you if you're outside Europe.

If back-porting the new features to the 40MHz card works as planned, you'll get away with a 60,- EUR upgrade fee. Whatever you go for, shipping goes on top (same rate as the shop system charges).

• Jens,

perfect then I will stick to my 40MHz version. As I have 2 cards (one inside my 1200 and one attached to an ACA500+, I will send both cards for upgrade, when you tell me to.

• Hi Jens just received the ACA1233n fully working so now maybe can i have the same upgrade like KKR75 by resending to you the card when you are ready for this one (paying an extra fee as you said to KKR75)? Thanks.

• Jens, I would also like to return my ACA1233n /26 for the free re-programming of the CPLD.

Just out of interest would it be possible to trade my card for a ACA1233n 40mhz?

Thanks.

• I am about to purchase an ACA1233n/26 but not if it still has this issue. I'm not in that big of a rush and can wait until it is fixed. If I buy today will the card I receive have this issue resolved?

Thanks

• Do I really REALLY need the CPLD update if I'm just using the card occasionally and not much maprom ?? (ACA1233n/26)

The whole process of taking out and shipping through customs to and fro and reinserting is a big drag ;-(
    I'm always scared to destroy something :-/
    ( Remember I even had problems with the side slot connector on your first ACA1230 back in the day :-) )

Btw I saw some issues in a thread here, with the 55mhz card does these apply to the 26 mhz one too ?

• Do I really REALLY need the CPLD update if I'm just using the card occasionally and not much maprom ?? (ACA1233n/26)

The problem that was described in this thread only shows in the rare case that you are using MapROM and then switch back to 68ec020 mode. The mere fact that it took almost three years for someone to encounter this problem shows how rarely this happens. If you use MapROM and stay with 68030 mode, it does not show. If you first switch to 68ec020 and then activate MapROM, there's no problem either, so there's even a workaround.

Btw I saw some issues in a thread here, with the 55mhz card does these apply to the 26 mhz one too ?

No, the 55MHz card has a different oscillator, and that's sensitive to power supply ripple. Our re-work for the 55MHz card is not required for the 40MHz and 26MHz cards, as the crystal oscillators on these cards are not that sensitive to power supply ripple.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.