Error in Indivision's Denise emulation

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Dear iComp team,

It seems like I've stumbled upon an incompatibility in Indivision's emulation of the Denise chip.

Could you please test the following demo on a machine equipped with Indivision ECS v2?

Kefrens Megademo 6

https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=31311

ftp://ftp.amigascne.org/pub/am…ens/Kefrens-Demodisk6.adf

Once the intro shows, press the left mouse button once to skip to the first part of the demo.

Here is a photo of how it looks on my A2000 with an Indivision ECS v2 configured for OCS mode:

First things first, please ignore the broken scroller at the bottom of the screen - that's because of an ECS Agnus, and does not matter for this bug report at all.

As you can see from the photo above, the letters K and S are black depending on their position. This shouldn't be the case, and indeed it does not happen on my other Amiga equipped with a real OCS Denise. They should remain coloured at all times.

According to a discussion in a forum, this does not happen with ECS Denise either, but it *does* happen in old versions of UAE and has been fixed meanwhile:

https://www.a1k.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70224

Is it possible that Indivision's Denise emulation makes the same mistake?

I suppose this can be fixed with a firmware update, so I'd be grateful for a fix.

Thank you very much!

• Thanks for the report! We'll look into this and develop a fix. For a test case, this is a bit annoying to load, but we may be able to isolate it into a separate routine. Not having watched the demo yet, I assume that this screen uses dual-playfield and sprites, which may be a seldomly-used combination.

• Thank you, I'm looking forward!

Megademo 6 is a standard AmigaDOS disk. From a quick test in UAE, it's sufficient to load the executable '1' from a hard disk, with all other files removed (I got this hint from the a1k.org thread - thanks there!). I hope that helps speed up the initial diagnostics.

As for seldomly-used, unfortunately this also affects at least one game - please have a look the a1k.org thread for extensive photo coverage on that, too.

If there's anything else I can do to help, please let me know.

• Spread the word about our customer support!

Anyway, thanks again for reporting this in the first place. We are all demo-watching (and a few even demo-making) guys, but we can't possibly test every single one of them.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.