Using the C64R MKII Off Of A Battery

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I want to try modding my C64 case to make it more portable, installing a mini monitor, etc. I am wondering if there are any issues with running the C64R MKII off of a battery. I am thinking USB to Step-Up converter to 12V DC. I am not 100% sure what is the best way to go about this. Here is an image of the device I am considering:

Please advise.

• davidpgil

Changed the title of the thread from “Using the C64R Off Of A Battery” to “Using the C64R MKII Off Of A Battery”.
  • I wont advice anything because i havent tried it - however, i dont see why it wouldnt work IF that device (or the battery) can provide the necessary power, and wont introduce excessive ripple (that depends on how it works internally, and how well its designed).

• Step-up converters *must* introduce ripple, as they are pumping charge into a coil and use the collapsing magnetic field to generate a higher voltage. You can of course filter that, but you'd have to measure that for a given device, which implies the use of an oscilloscope, and not everybody has that.

Different suggestion: Take 4 pcs. 18650 cells, a proper battery management system for balancing these, and a simple linear 12V voltage regulator (7812). The C64RMK2 takes about 0,4A when equipped with a single SID, so make that 0.5A with a second SID. Even if the 18650 cells are completely charged (=4.1V per cell - you want them to live long!), the linear regulator would have to burn 2.2W, and there would be prectically no ripple on the 12V supply.

Granted, the linear regulator will reduce the working time on one charge: Standard Sony 18650 cell is 3Ah, so we're talking 6 hours operation on a single battery charge with a linear regulator.

A switching regulator with 94% efficiency would get roughly 44Wh out of 4 cells, resulting in about 7 hours and 20 minutes operation from the same 4 cells. However, you'll have to deal with ripple (though smaller than from a step-up converter), and the circuit is more complicated than with a linear regulator.

Either way, converting a C64RMK2 to battery operation is not rocket science. Let us know how you proceed!

• OK so my plan is to build a portable C64R MKII with attached mini monitor that has its own rechargeable battery, and attach another 25000mah battery pack that has two usb power outputs, one for charging the monitor battery and the other to connect to via USB to DC... I am also interested in adding solar charging as well using a battery pack that has a solar panel on it... I know my idea is a bit exhuberant, but I want to try even if its pricey and probably ridiculous looking. My hope is to make a C64R MKII that can be used as a "laptop" experience. I will probably need some type of device also attached to clean up the SVideo output on an LCD as well, but I will deal with that later :D

Would you like to see my potential parts list?

• Would you like to see my potential parts list?

To be honest, no, we have lots of other things to do. Just one word of warning:

another 25000mah battery pack that has two usb power outputs

Careful when rating such offers with ridiculously-high numbers that actually say nothing about the capacity. Most of these Chinese offers are just taking low-capacity cells and add up the numbers without looking at the voltage. 25 amp hours@5V? I doubt it, as even with Li-Ion batteries, such a pack would have a weight of over half a kilogram (calculating 46 grams for a single 18650 cell).

The scam mostly goes like this (just an example): A battery pack is using two cells of 3000mAh each, so the "salesman" is writing 6000mAh on the device.

Internal electronics is pumping the 3.7V of the cells up to 5V, which of course has it's losses of - say 10%. So out of the 22Wh of available energy, you're only getting about 20Wh. On the 5V side, 20Wh make just under 4000mAh. Not as much as advertised :-/

I am also interested in adding solar charging as well using a battery pack that has a solar panel on it... I know my idea is a bit exhuberant, but I want to try even if its pricey and probably ridiculous looking.

Solar is a nice idea, given that solar energy is the world's cheapest electricity since 2016 (even crude oil pumps in desert countries are powered with solar now, because it's cheaper than fossil fuels). If you ask me, there can't be enough solar on this planet. I can't do more than encourage you to proceed with your plan, but please understand that I do have time constraints and other customters to take care of.

• Thanks for your time. I really appreciate it. I know my post is a bit on the edge of relating to the C64R MKII ... I nonetheless appreciate the effort you have put in and feel inspired by your information. I hope this post gets other people excited about tinkering with the C64R MKII in a similar way.

Cheers!

David

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.