Minimig on v2

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • From the numbers, you currently have 3.1. The most recent version - which is sold commercially - is Kickstart 3.1.4. (It's a major update, don't let the similar version number fool you.) I don't know of any reason why it shouldn't work, but since I haven't tried it myself, I can't make any guarantees.

The "Best" chipset setting (currently) is "ECS" (Enhanced Chip Set) - but I'd recommend leaving Turbo Chip turned off most of the time, because it does cause compatibility problems with a lot of software. Turn it on just when running software where it makes a big difference (it gives a nice speed / smoothness boost in Zeewolf 2, for example).

• Yep, I had to turn it off, cause many Disks failed to load. The disks were not recognized. I also unchecked Floppy Disk Turbo.

I will try ECS and report back. Thanks for the tip.

Also, I will try Kickstart ROM 3.1.4 with Workbench 3.1.4 and let you know If it works. I'm pretty sure it will :)

BTW... Error 27 seems to be gone....

Thanks and regards

• Floppy Disk turbo should be fine in the vast majority of cases. Only the occasional stubborn game or demo will fail with that enabled.

Error 27 will be fixed in the next release - it's happening because writing to ADF files is currently broken. I guess almost no-one does that, which is why I hadn't heard about it yet! The fix is easy, though - It's a bug in the menu firmware (the OSD_CA01.sys file) caused by my earlier experiments in porting the menu code to other CPU architectures.

• If it's possible, it will involve fiddling with mountfiles and filesystems.

It's not all that difficult - the first-ever program to use a file as data source for a device driver was written by Matthew Dillon (who else!), but it was so much ahead of it's time that all the new authors for image-mounting tools probably forgot about fmsdisk.device (Fred Fish disk #294). That's really a pain to use with an ISO file - just mentioning it, as many of the tools were written dor ADF mounting, which is nicely pssible with "the original".

Newer approaches are on Aminet: ImageMount and DiskImageGui, and they specifically mention ISO files in the documentation.

• HI,

I have plugged an USB keyboard using an USB-PS2 adaptor, but it is not working. Any ideas? Keybord tested in Raspberry Pi working OK. USB Mouse is working OK as well.

Thanks

Is the keyboard definitely a combination USB + PS/2 keyboard? Assuming you're using a passive adapter then the keyboard has to support both protocols. (Easy test: does the keyboard work in the c64 core?)

• My best gues is that the keyboard isnt supporting the PS/2 protocoll like robinsonb5 mentioned. Maybe you can find this out by looking up the manual.

About the colors, i realy dont know. I'm using a real mechanical PS/2 keyboard and usb mouse.

• Colour doesn't matter, I use a green and a black passive converter, both works fine with keyboard and mouse (the adapters are interchangeable), IF the device supports PS/2 protocol besides USB.

• As others have said, that adapter is just a passive wiring adapter - it's a less drastic equivalent of cutting off the plug and soldering on a different one. Your mouse is able to talk both USB and PS/2 - but it sounds like your keyboard only supports USB - so I'm afraid you're going to need a different one.

PS/2 keyboards should still be easily available on EBay and suchlike.

• Hi all,

I´ve got a PS2 keyboard in eBay (brand new Logitech) for 9€ inc shipment, and works fine, both on C64 and Minimig. I just need to map keys properly. I´ve selected Spansh key mapping but some keys do not match.

Any ideas how to edit Key mapping in Amiga?

Thanks and regards

David

• Hi all,

I´ve got a PS2 keyboard in eBay (brand new Logitech) for 9€ inc shipment, and works fine, both on C64 and Minimig. I just need to map keys properly. I´ve selected Spansh key mapping but some keys do not match.

Any ideas how to edit Key mapping in Amiga?

I'm actually planning to do a tutorial video on that in the near future - as well as a utility disk that contains some relevant tools.

There are several keymap editors on Aminet - but I've found that one works better than the others. Without checking I can't be sure, but I think it was EditKeys163.lha.

• I remember a key map editor from times "before Aminet" - you'll surely find it on a Fred Fish disk, but I can't remember the name. The unique point of that program was that it shows a graphical map of the keyboard (though an A1000 keyboard) if you hit a key and then it lets you edit the map with the different qualifiers.

Maybe someone else remembers the name or has the time to find that program in the Fred Fish archive?

Back then, I used it to make myself a key map that gives me a $a0 when I hit ALT-Space, as that will also display a space, but it won't be treated as a space when entered in a command line. That shortens the typing time for file names containing a space, and it even lets you "hide" files if the name only has $a0 characters :-)

• Maybe someone else remembers the name or has the time to find that program in the Fred Fish archive?

I think that might be "KME"? If so, it's on Aminet, described as a "very old program"! Unfortunately it seems to have compatibility issues - I haven't tried it under an old kickstart yet - or without 32-bit fast RAM for that matter - but on 3.1 it scribbled over the desktop background and crashed when I tried to save...

Back then, I used it to make myself a key map that gives me a $a0 when I hit ALT-Space, as that will also display a space, but it won't be treated as a space when entered in a command line. That shortens the typing time for file names containing a space, and it even lets you "hide" files if the name only has $a0 characters :-)

Nice! The lowly "non-breaking space" character which later found fame as the HTML entity that made the source of *so* many web pages much harder to read then they needed to be!

• Hello.

I have followed instructions and flashed minimig core to tc64V2. I've tried both the latest ECS and AGA minimig cores. I have copied necessary files to the root of the SD card as per instructions.

It attempts to boot. I can see the boot screen and it successfully load the rom file it seems. But then the screen starts to blink between pitch black and a more lighter black. The green light on the TC64V2 also blinks. It will stay like this.

What could be the issue? btw, I am using the BenQ BL702A monitor

• I have followed instructions and flashed minimig core to tc64V2. I've tried both the latest ECS and AGA minimig cores. I have copied necessary files to the root of the SD card as per instructions.

It attempts to boot. I can see the boot screen and it successfully load the rom file it seems. But then the screen starts to blink between pitch black and a more lighter black. The green light on the TC64V2 also blinks. It will stay like this.

At a guess, I'd say you probably have a ROM file that needs 68020, and the core defaults to 68000. Try opening the OSD with F12 (might be tricky while the machine's in a crash loop) and setting the CPU to '020. Or try a different ROM file.

• At a guess, I'd say you probably have a ROM file that needs 68020, and the core defaults to 68000. Try opening the OSD with F12 (might be tricky while the machine's in a crash loop) and setting the CPU to '020. Or try a different ROM file.

I have been trying the two different A1200 roms. So maybe that's the issue then. But since I tried the AGA minimig core it's a little bit strange if that one also is set to 68000 as default. Thanks. will try your suggestions and report back

• Tried the AGA core and kickstart 3.1 again. Managed to get into the minimig menu and changed the CPU to 020 Alpha. And now that setup works :) I even got my HD images to work. I had HD images from my real Amigas. They were 'vhd' files. I just renamed one of them to 'hdf' and put it in the root of the SD card. So now I'm whdloading on the TC64 V2 ;) I really like the scanlines in the minimig core. Looks good on my BenQ BL702A. Smooth scrolling and everything :)

I don't feel any difference between this and my real Amigas. I can hear a slight difference in the music in some games. And of course, since this is an FPGA based unit I feel no input lag compared to my real Amigas. Unlike software emulation which I find horrible with regards to input lag and jerky scrolling.

I haven't tried yet, but I think I read somewhere that a real A500 keyboard will not work yet if you plug it into the docking station? Using an old PS2 keyboard now. Works just fine.

Very, very nice setup :)

Happy I bought two TC64 V2s. One for C64 cartridge mode and one for standalone mode with the docking station ;)

Edit: A couple of whdload games that are working on my real whdload Amigas are not working with the TC64 V2 thus far. Like Super Deluxe Galaga and Super Off Road. Haven't really tried that many games yet, but most of the ones I've tried works on the TC64 V2.