Minimig on v2

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • robinsonb5: I've flashed both cores to the Chameleon and did some testing with the memcheck file. The first core resulted in the same blue screen as before. With the second core all went black. I will try this again, but I haven't got the time right now.

With the large osd file both resulted in the red screen and with the small osd file fast ram wasn't recognized.

• robinsonb5: I've flashed both cores to the Chameleon and did some testing with the memcheck file. The first core resulted in the same blue screen as before. With the second core all went black. I will try this again, but I haven't got the time right now.

With the large osd file both resulted in the red screen and with the small osd file fast ram wasn't recognized.

OK, well thanks for taking the time to test. I'm running out of ideas now - I'll see if I can come up with some kind of test for SDRAM bursts, but it'll be some days before I can do that.

• I have a quick question: When I start MiniMig_V2 core on my TC64v2 I cannot use my CDTV remote to do anything. I have to start the OCD menu with the left most hardware button on the cartridge. HOWEVER: When I am in the OCD menu and press the arrow-up on the CDTV, sometimes it jumps down one line. But that is all -- no more reaction. No nothing :)

Question 1: Does the CDTV remote work to go in/out of the OCD on MiniMIg on the TC64V1 ?

Question 2: Are my problems above reproduceable on the iComp Labs (Tobias?) ?

Question 3: Which buttons (if any) on the CDTV remote is supposed to me mapped on the minimig core (what can I expect) ?

//Espen

• i cant open/close the OSD on v1. i CAN use it with the remote once its open though (that does not work on v2).

as for what you can expect... the core would need some special handling of the remote, as the OSD is opened by F12 right now, and that doesnt exist on the remote when using the chameleon io entity. other than that, the mapping provided by the chameleon io entity is always the same, you can look it up in the appendix of the manual.

• Here's a version that fixes the CDTV control pad issues. It's possible to open the OSD using the power button (new for V2 - I'll backport that to V1 at some point).

Things I learned:

• It's vital that the ir_data signal is double-synchronised, otherwise the state machine in the CDTV Controller module gets wedged.
    • Somewhere along the line the order of the joystick direction signals in the CDTV ir module got reversed between the old version in the Minimig sources and the current version.
    • If your project uses the CDTV ir module directly in its toplevel, it's a good idea to disable it in the IO module!

http://retroramblings.net/snap…nimig_tc64v2_20190411.zip

• Here's a version that fixes the CDTV control pad issues. It's possible to open the OSD using the power button (new for V2 - I'll backport that to V1 at some point).

Things I learned:

• It's vital that the ir_data signal is double-synchronised, otherwise the state machine in the CDTV Controller module gets wedged.
    • Somewhere along the line the order of the joystick direction signals in the CDTV ir module got reversed between the old version in the Minimig sources and the current version.
    • If your project uses the CDTV ir module directly in its toplevel, it's a good idea to disable it in the IO module!

http://retroramblings.net/snap…nimig_tc64v2_20190411.zip

Perfect! I will see if I can test this ASAP. In regards to the buttons (other than power+arrows+fire): Do they serve purpose as well ?

• mmmmh the core works for me, but with the included OSD i only get black screen. when i start the core without SD card inserted i can see it runs, then after inserting the sd card i see green LED blinking, monitor goes out of sync... with older OSD it works, but then the power button doesnt work on the remote. *shrug*

edit: tried with SDHC card instead of regular SD too... no dice. *sometimes* when i press the right button on chameleon to reset, the initial screen comes up with the OSD, which is then unuseable though. at this point inserting the sd card would do nothing. also tried on another v2 without rr-net, and also tried in standalone mode. same thing everywhere. also tried the OSD from minimig_tc64_20130608.zip - this already has this problem (?)

• mmmmh the core works for me, but with the included OSD i only get black screen. when i start the core without SD card inserted i can see it runs, then after inserting the sd card i see green LED blinking, monitor goes out of sync... with older OSD it works, but then the power button doesnt work on the remote. *shrug*

edit: tried with SDHC card instead of regular SD too... no dice. *sometimes* when i press the right button on chameleon to reset, the initial screen comes up with the OSD, which is then unuseable though. at this point inserting the sd card would do nothing. also tried on another v2 without rr-net, and also tried in standalone mode. same thing everywhere. also tried the OSD from minimig_tc64_20130608.zip - this already has this problem (?)

OK - I'd tweaked the SDRAM timings in between the last two released to try and address jab76's problem - I'll revert those changes and see if the result works better for you. Frustrating that my ChameleonV2 seems to be much more forgiving than other people's!

• Unfortunately... this core behaves the same :(

how do i test if fast ram works (my amiga knowledge boils down to "insert disk to start turrican" =))

Enable fast RAM in the OSD menus, reset the Amiga with Ctrl-alt-alt, then boot a workbench disk and see what the free memory readout at the top of the screen says. Another good test is to enable Turbo Chip RAM and see if ZeeWolf 2 boots, and if so, how smoothly it runs.

If you get a chance and have an easy way to do it, could you give me an md5sum of the new OSD file, after copying it to the SD card?

Also, it might be worth trying the memory testing OSD file on the previous forum page - (though I think that will work just fine, since only instruction accesses for the OSD CPU use burst mode, not data accesses.)

• that memory test says "passed".

md5sum of the OSD on SD card is 6ef973dbb6bc03fe02431029e11fe5d4 (from your latest zip)

i will have to find a workbench adf and/or zeewolf 2 :)

• Workbench says 314,something "other mem" regardless how much fastmem i enable in OSD. zeewolf 2 boots and runs, but i have now idea if the speed is what you'd expect =)

• ALASTAIR:

GREAT JOB! The OSD now works + the menu is possible to navigate!

BUG FOUND: I see that when I enter workbench, the left + right fire buttons on the CDTV works fine as the left+right mousebuttons. But the arrow

keys do not move the mouse-pointer. When I press ARROW_UP it moves the pointer one pixel down. If I press ARROW_DOWN it moves the pointer one pixel to the right (yep: the switch is set to "mouse" on the CDTV remote).

Also -- when I play Supercars (might be an issue with other games as well) I notice that there is a lag on the buttons. I press the fire button to accellerate, but it doesn't axx until about 0,5-1 second later. Also, if I try to steer with the arrow keys left/right it has the same kind of lag.

Could you see if this is also something which happens on the V1 ?

Hope this helps in debugging :)

• BUG FOUND: I see that when I enter workbench, the left + right fire buttons on the CDTV works fine as the left+right mousebuttons. But the arrow

keys do not move the mouse-pointer. When I press ARROW_UP it moves the pointer one pixel down. If I press ARROW_DOWN it moves the pointer one pixel to the right (yep: the switch is set to "mouse" on the CDTV remote).

That's not a bug - that's just how it works. The CDTV pad always emulates a joystick, not a mouse - the mouse/joy switch just selects which port the emulated joystick is plugged in to.

Also -- when I play Supercars (might be an issue with other games as well) I notice that there is a lag on the buttons. I press the fire button to accellerate, but it doesn't axx until about 0,5-1 second later. Also, if I try to steer with the arrow keys left/right it has the same kind of lag.

Could you see if this is also something which happens on the V1 ?

Sure, I'll try it. But is that Super Cars or Super Cars II? I can't seem to get Super Cars to run at all. If it is Super Cars 1, can you let me know which version you used? (Don't link to it here, though.)