Minimig on v2

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I upgraded to the latest Amiga AGA core today and noticed the bottom picture is cut off/missing when using the TC64V2 on an LCD TV I have. The older core I was using (from sometimes earlier last year probably) did not have this problem.

However, it does work fine on my BenQ BL702A/BL 912 monitors.

• Hi, not sure if i'm doing anything wrong but the latest AGA core doesnt seem to recognize any floppys in df1, i have to swap disks in df0 on multi disk games.

There are many, many games which don't support multiple drives - can you check from workbench to see if DF1: responds there?

• Hi Just got a TC and am looking to use this core. The only thing I do not understand is This "You MUST install the updated RTG driver from the MinimigUtils.adf disk before upgrading to this new core" Is this on the "MinimigUtils.adf" file in the download? If so how do I go about loading it as well as the core.

Thanks

• Hi Just got a TC and am looking to use this core. The only thing I do not understand is This "You MUST install the updated RTG driver from the MinimigUtils.adf disk before upgrading to this new core" Is this on the "MinimigUtils.adf" file in the download? If so how do I go about loading it as well as the core.

Thanks

If you're completely new to the Minimig core you can ignore that instruction, because you won't have RTG graphics set up yet.

As well as being a pretty good replica of a real Amiga, the Minimig core can also, optionally, emulate an extra graphics card so you can use a workbench with a higher resolution and more colours than is possible with the regular Amiga chipset. The RTG driver is indeed on the MinimigUtils.adf disk image - and is used in conjunction with P96, the ReTargettable Graphics system for Amiga. (An old version of P96 is on Aminet, while the latest version is for sale in the icomp store.)

The warning about updating the driver is for existing users - the newest version of the core isn't compatible with the previous version of the driver. So if you had a virtual hard disk image set up with an RTG Workbench, updating the core without first updating the driver would mean you'd get a blank screen when booting from that hard disk image.

• If you're completely new to the Minimig core you can ignore that instruction, because you won't have RTG graphics set up yet.

As well as being a pretty good replica of a real Amiga, the Minimig core can also, optionally, emulate an extra graphics card so you can use a workbench with a higher resolution and more colours than is possible with the regular Amiga chipset. The RTG driver is indeed on the MinimigUtils.adf disk image - and is used in conjunction with P96, the ReTargettable Graphics system for Amiga. (An old version of P96 is on Aminet, while the latest version is for sale in the icomp store.)

The warning about updating the driver is for existing users - the newest version of the core isn't compatible with the previous version of the driver.

Thanks for the info how do you install the driver? A quick rundown of how to install the whole core would be appreciated as said I think I have got it, but after reading your post I am not so sure I can 100% say I really understand what your saying. I have brought the TC as I am a musician so having a couple of cores for retro music software is really appling. I already use a couple of C64 just like to add some more options, but more of a player then a tech.

Thanks

• Thanks for the info how do you install the driver? A quick rundown of how to install the whole core would be appreciated as said I think I have got it, but after reading your post I am not so sure I can 100% say I really understand what your saying. I have brought the TC as I am a musician so having a couple of cores for retro music software is really appling. I already use a couple of C64 just like to add some more options, but more of a player then a tech.

Thanks

There's a readme file on the MinimigUtils ADF disk image, which explains the process. Until you're up and running you should probably ignore that disk, though - it only contains enhancements, nothing that's absolutely vital.

I made a video some time ago about the process of actually flashing a core onto the Chameleon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac6As-TqmG4 - it's fairly self-explanatory, just don't flash anything other than the Chameleon C64 core into flash slot 0.

You'll need an image of the Amiga Kickstart ROM on the SD card - which must be called kick.rom

You'll also need to copy the 832OSD01.bin file onto the SD card. (This file is the firmware for the core's embedded CPU which runs the menu system and provides SD-card-based disk emulation.)

That much should give you the Amiga "insert disk" screen.

You'll also want some .ADF disk images of the software you want to run.

Once you're comfortable with running disk-based software under Minimig, then you can think about setting up an Amiga hard disk image (.hdf file) - but that process is way beyond the scope of a forum post.

Espen Skog has put some tutorials on his blog - https://espenskogblog.wordpress.com - which you might find useful, and he also Admins a facebook group dedicated to the TC64.

• Just a bit more help if you don't mind. I managed to install workbench, but the minimig screen resolution does not seem to be working. I am dong everything right I think, but when I change the name to minimig after clicking on minimig.info and going into tool type (see picture 3) changing name there it never saves and just goes back to the original name (see Pic 6). Even if I open it up straight after saving it goes back to original name.

Taken screen shots of what I am doing pic 5 is what I get after doing every thing as shown before as said no minimig res settings and

7 is the res that I am getting.

Any help would be appreciated thanks Kirk

• There's a quirk with Amiga string gadgets which means after changing the name from uaegfx to minimig, you have to press the enter key before clicking Save, otherwise the program won't notice that you've edited the string. Maybe that's the problem?

• There's a quirk with Amiga string gadgets which means after changing the name from uaegfx to minimig, you have to press the enter key before clicking Save, otherwise the program won't notice that you've edited the string. Maybe that's the problem?

That seems to have done the trick, but still have a small problem. I seem to only be able to use screen res 720x480 16 bit which is a bit jumpy. Any thing above that flashes on the screen for a second and then screen either goes black then crashes. Any idea.

Thanks again

• I have a reproducable SD card error on the latest MinimigAGA (22-2-25) and 1 HDF file (RDB mode, works on WinUAE):

* doing some action like extracting an archive gives an SD card error, it then reboots and produces a clicking sound

* the hardfile will have checksum errors afterwards

* in one case, afterwards a Sandisk 64GB Pro got fully corrupted, only the Chaco v2 was able to read (but not write) some (but not all) files

Is Minimig corrupting the SD card ? Anything I can do to either debug or prevent the issue ?

I tried with two SD cards, the 64GB and a LX 32GB.

Thanks !

• Never tried the previous version (perhaps we take this offline to Patreon), this is my first go at using my Chaco V2 with Minimig :) Using a ramdrive is better, I worry about trashing another SD card for now (although it could ofcourse be bad luck with two bad SD cards, but given that they are both Pro cards, I hoped not) :)

• A 16GB Sandisk Ultra SD card I have still cannot create a config file using the latest AGA core. I have to copy the config file manually from PC. That also means if I change settings from the minimig menu I cannot save to that config file either.

• A 16GB Sandisk Ultra SD card I have still cannot create a config file using the latest AGA core. I have to copy the config file manually from PC. That also means if I change settings from the minimig menu I cannot save to that config file either.

Creating configuration files is known to be buggy - but saving over the top of an existing file should be working. Can you describe what happens when you try, please?