Serial Port stopped working while in use

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

I recently acquired a mk2 from you (order 53023), while using the serial connection it froze up. I tried disconnecting the cable an reconnecting it again but got nothing over the terminal (Tera Term, current version). After this I turned the device off and on again, it boots correctly but again nothing over the serial connection. Subsequently I rebooted the computer but no serial was found.

Since then I've tried everything combination of booting with the device and connecting it (C64 off/ PC on, PC off / C64 on, C64 on / PC off) but to no avail. I tried it on two different computers as well. Neither combination nor computer found the serial port again.

I've bought old new stock for the chips on the board, I have the following components:

- MOS 8500 CPU

- CSG 8562R4 VIC-II

- MOS 6526R-4 CIA (x2)

- CSG 8580R5 SID (x2)

As you may see from my order, I bought the 'original' power adapter, which is what I am using. I placed the 'notch' of the chips towards the lever (as indicated in the user guide).

The only other device I've connected is a new original SD2IEC powered by the user port (tfw8b) and an Epyx Fastload Reloaded. The cartridge gets recognized but I get an error '?DEVICE NOT PRESENT ERROR' for the SD2IEC (at first it took a very long time for the error message to appear, now it happens almost instantly).

If you have any more questions (or ideas) please let me know.

Have a nice day and hope to hear from you soon;)

Ralph

PS: Originally I wanted to use the serial connection to debug the SD2IEC problem...

• as a first test, please remove all ICs from the sockets, and disconnect all peripherial devices. power on the board - now the LED should blink (indicating error - ICs not detected). now try again, perhaps with another USB cable too :)

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.