BUG: C64 User's Guide Example Bug

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • On page 61 and 62 of the C64 User's guide has some example code that is supposed to show the user about changing border and background colors. The numbers and visuals are supposed to relate to the the following key:

The following code does not produce colors that match this key. So, I am wondering if the C64R MKII is not accurate enough? Is there a bug in the manual? Did I miss something?

Please advise.

• Pretty sure the colors are right - there is no way the MK2 board could even produce different ones (the VICII produces them).

Which color do you think is wrong?

edit: instead of adding that line 25, add the same as line 45 (and remove line 25) - else the numbers printed on screen will be from the previous iteration of the loop :)

• Pretty sure the colors are right - there is no way the MK2 board could even produce different ones (the VICII produces them).

Which color do you think is wrong?

edit: instead of adding that line 25, add the same as line 45 (and remove line 25) - else the numbers printed on screen will be from the previous iteration of the loop :)

Line 45? Where? Are you saying the C64 User Manual is wrong?

• no, the user manual is correct. but inserting that line 25 into the program (which i assume you did) will result in the values from the previous loop iteration being shown on screen. using the same line but as 45 - after the pokes - will show the right numbers (which will then also match the table from the manual). it is a simple bug in the program :)

• no, the user manual is correct. but inserting that line 25 into the program (which i assume you did) will result in the values from the previous loop iteration being shown on screen. using the same line but as 45 - after the pokes - will show the right numbers (which will then also match the table from the manual). it is a simple bug in the program :)

I see no line 45 in the code I posted. Would you clarify for me?

• you should remove the line 25 and insert it as line 45. like this:

Code
    1. 10 FOR BA = 0 TO 15
    2. 20 FOR BO = 0 TO 15
    3. 30 POKE 53280,BA
    4. 40 POKE 53281,BO
    5. 45 PRINT CHR$(147); "BORDER = ";PEEK(53280) AND 15;"BACKGROUND = ";PEEK(53281) AND 15
    6. 50 FOR X = 1 TO 2000:NEXT X
    7. 60 NEXT BO:NEXT BA
  • you should remove the line 25 and insert it as line 45. like this:

Code
    1. 10 FOR BA = 0 TO 15
    2. 20 FOR BO = 0 TO 15
    3. 30 POKE 53280,BA
    4. 40 POKE 53281,BO
    5. 45 PRINT CHR$(147); "BORDER = ";PEEK(53280) AND 15;"BACKGROUND = ";PEEK(53281) AND 15
    6. 50 FOR X = 1 TO 2000:NEXT X
    7. 60 NEXT BO:NEXT BA

Reading again what you typed -- you said this! Sorry to make you type it all out! Thank you.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.