[SOLVED] Audio on some SIDS are very distorted

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello.

There has been a few times where audio seems very distorted or driven too hard on the TC64's audio out. The game Time Tunnel is pretty basic in its musics, but those all sound wayyy too distorted as if the audio levels get driven too hard. See a youtube video of Time Tunnel for the C64, then try it on the TC64's audio out. There is a demo that does the same thing. The audio sounds distorted, though it at least seems to play it right.

Just wanted to see if there is something I am overlooking in the SID options. Audio output level of the original SID is definitely much higher than the audio output level of the TC64.

• Not sure what the question is :) The SID emulation is certainly far from perfect - it should be OK for most games however :)

It does good, but for whatever reason, some SIDS sound over deviated. If you can, play the time tunnel game. Even as the game starts, that music sounds way too distorted through the TC64 vs the Original SID. Basic SID music and its off. Robocop 3's music is more complicated and sound much more accurate. :)

• Thanks - the tune you're playing uses mainly triangle waveforms if I'm right, so it'll be easy to reproduce/diagnose.

Fun fact: Youtube decided to play Kraftwerk's "Radioactivity" (live) after your video :-)

• Thanks - the tune you're playing uses mainly triangle waveforms if I'm right, so it'll be easy to reproduce/diagnose.

Fun fact: Youtube decided to play Kraftwerk's "Radioactivity" (live) after your video :-)

That is pretty good lol! But thank you very much looking into it. Whatever is causing it to do that, the Comaland demo on disk 4 that uses the digitized sounds has that same issue of it being distorted. I think once its found, then it will also correct that comaland demo.

From what I was able to hear, Redrumloa's TC64 V1 sounded fine? His sounded ok. I May of had a hard time hearing it over his video I had him record.

Thanks again. :)

• Haven't seen Redrumload's video - remember that I am not a Facebook user. However, we should be able to reproduce it on the V1 hardware - we do have that left for testing :-) I believe it has a digital cause, as the analogue circuit between V1 and V2 is identical.

• Haven't seen Redrumload's video - remember that I am not a Facebook user. However, we should be able to reproduce it on the V1 hardware - we do have that left for testing :-) I believe it has a digital cause, as the analogue circuit between V1 and V2 is identical.

Ahhhh. I just mainly meant that I seen/heard his V1 from a video I had him record. :) He bought the TC64 v1 many years ago. :) He was the reason I bought one this time around.

But all is well. Again, much appreciated! I better get to sleep. Its 11:47 PM Pacific time here. Take care.

• I tried to reproduce this here (on a v2 chameleon), using the Time_Tunnel.sid from HVSC, and it sounds totally normal to me. No distortion like in your video at all.

Please try it with another amplifier/speakers - you either have a defective unit or (more likely) the impedance of the input of those speakers doesnt match so the input is overdriven

• did you find out if the problem is your speakers?

I apologize from my long absence! I just now checked the forums. :) I have tried with different speakers and different monitors, and the audio is still just distorting and sounds really loud on it. Jens mentioned the Triangle Wave Forms that the tune mainly uses, and those are the sounds that are louder than the rest.

• did you find out if the problem is your speakers?

Well then... I take what I said earlier back.......

I went to "record" the audio coming out of the TC64 onto my PC... Went to play it back..........sounds perfect... :/

Ugh, then I remembered if I tried other sets of speakers or even a screen, and then I recalled no I didn't... This stupid speaker must hate or has some kind of a mismatch like you mentioned...

Any who.... Goose chase is over... Thanks for all your and everyone else's help... :)

• Doffo

Changed the title of the thread from “[BUGS] Audio on some SIDS are very distorted” to “[SOLVED] Audio on some SIDS are very distorted”.
  • The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.