TCV2 Troubleshooting

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • After receiving my TCV2 yesterday I was using it in cartridge mode with my BB c64 and just cruising through the menu system trying to get familiar. Now when I turn it on from full power-off the TC doesn't seem to boot up. On the VGA output I see a strange pinkish-orange pattern (which dances around the screen) and something that looks like part of a machine code monitor at the very top of the screen. (see image attached)

I was thinking maybe I messed up the settings on the TC somehow. I recall that I was loading some preinstalled cartridges into some of the slots. If that's the case what can I do to reset the settings? Do I need to reinstall the default software or is there some kind of "factory reset" that I could try first? None of the buttons on the TC seem to be doing anything and I have already tried power cycling the C64 and completely disconnecting/reconnecting everything.

• Tried standalone mode today and it worked. I think I am definitely having some kind of issue with my c64 machine itself. I think maybe bad ram chips but I'm not certain.

I think the answer to the question I was asking about factory reset can be found in chapter 5.1.1 of the Turbo Chameleon user guide. For example if you want to boot with default settings you can hold the 1 key during boot (this seems to flush all of the custom settings written to flash). Can somebody more experienced than I please confirm this is correct?

• Tried standalone mode today and it worked. I think I am definitely having some kind of issue with my c64 machine itself. I think maybe bad ram chips but I'm not certain.

I think the answer to the question I was asking about factory reset can be found in chapter 5.1.1 of the Turbo Chameleon user guide. For example if you want to boot with default settings you can hold the 1 key during boot (this seems to flush all of the custom settings written to flash). Can somebody more experienced than I please confirm this is correct?

Have you tried with some electronic cleaner in the C64 cartridge port? It may not make good contact with the TC64 V2

• Have you tried with some electronic cleaner in the C64 cartridge port? It may not make good contact with the TC64 V2

Hey that's a good thing to test! After all this is the first cartridge that has been used in the system for who knows how many years. What product/method do you recommend?

• Dont waste money on some kind of spray - use an old toothbrush and alcohol (IPA)

and yes, holding 1 will boot with defaults. keep in mind this is temporary - you'll still have to save those settings if you want to keep them.

• I was wondering... if my c64 machine doesn’t boot up properly even with the TC inserted does that rule out the possiblity of bad ram chips in the c64 since the TC brings its own ram? Does it in fact rule out any of the chips in my machine?

• The Chameleon is not a diagnostic tool for defective C64s. The general recommendation is that you should make sure that the C64 works fine, then insert the Chameleon - not the other way round.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.