Indivison ECS V2 Overscan issue

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi

I have a problem configuring my Indivision ECS V2.

I can configure all PAL and NTSC native resolutions to fit on my LCD screen, but when i run a game that is using Overscan screen mode, the picture is going out of bountries.

On the test mode, i select the overscan resolution but as you will see on the picture this can't be configured.

Please HELP, i cant use it with the games that i buy it for.

• The left picture shows that you haven't configured the unit for overscan; the right part or the picture is missing. Try moving left a little, as there's some free space on the left side.

• How are you adjusting the settings? Did you try the mouse-based adjustments that have been introduced with the latest release of the config tool?

Maybe Timm can help - he's the author of the config tool. If all else fails, you can send the config and he'll look at it. However, we should verify that you're using the tool the way it's planned, otherwise there's no point in checking the config.

• I just uploaded version 2.0 of the software, which includes new firmware 20190308. It allows for more overscan horizontally. Also included are some new presets, including a 50Hz VSync mode. You might give this a try.

http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Indivision_ECS_V2/doc

Hello. I have updated to the new software and firmware. The new 736x548 (50Hz) are nowhere to be found in the list of Predefined profiles. What's up with that? Also, since several updates ago when selecting Pre: 640x512 and VGA mode 1280x1024 (50 or 60Hz) the 640x512 will set itself to 640x480. So I have to copy the Pre 640x512 and edit it from 640x480 to the correct 640x512.

• It's in the presets, but overwritten by your current configuration. You can get it by "Restore to Defaults" (and switch back using "Last Saved" if need be. Also remember that you can save your current configuration to a file for later reference). Sorry for the new presets are not automatically merged into your configuration. But the new defaults come with slightly changed positions, so it's probably better to start from the new defaults.

Selecting a 1280x1024 VGA mode should not truncate an Indivision 640x512 mode, and you should get a requester to notify you in that case. Please let me know if this can be reproduced with the new version.

• It's in the presets, but overwritten by your current configuration. You can get it by "Restore to Defaults" (and switch back using "Last Saved" if need be. Also remember that you can save your current configuration to a file for later reference). Sorry for the new presets are not automatically merged into your configuration. But the new defaults come with slightly changed positions, so it's probably better to start from the new defaults.

Selecting a 1280x1024 VGA mode should not truncate an Indivision 640x512 mode, and you should get a requester to notify you in that case. Please let me know if this can be reproduced with the new version.

Thanks. 'Restore to defaults' fixed it. Now the new profiles showed up and the 640x512 thing got fixed aswell after doing that.

• After reinstalling my ECSv2, the very first thing I did was the firmware update. I Immediately saw the improvement. The output is almost a perfect match with the RGB (SCART to HDMI adapter connected). It is easy to do A/B comparisons.

I already had overscan adjustments in place before the ECS went back in as I like to expand my Workbench screen as much as possible. With the new firmware, I only had to adjust my horizontal overscan setting a tiny amount. The default image is still shifted a bit to the right but no longer being truncated. My monitor also seems to be better at keeping the image vertically centered now. I still have slight borders on top and bottom but I think I could learn to live with this. The horizontal centering is perfect. The left/right borders are exactly the same now.

I will post some images later.

Now if I can only figure out how to get a default NTSC High Res screen to look as good as PAL (it is currently being chopped off on the bottom). At this stage, I have no interest in mapping screenmodes to higher VGA resolutions since 800x600@72Hz looks pretty good. It is a tad on the soft side, though.

• i still have problem. The firmware didn't fix nothing.

As jdryyz reported, the new firmware update did add quite a bit of overscan area. Please try the new presets - they already make use of the new overscan area. Your screen looks like you either did not perform the update yet, or you are trying to use a config that was generated with an older version of the config tool. Please note that the config tool has been updated as well - you should replace both the core file and the config tool on your harddisk and not mix old and new versions.

• i updated the firmware, i am using the new software, and i am using the default config and also i tryied to make my own config.

The device still have the same problem on overscann native resolutions.

When trying to play Benefactor or other games i have this problem.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.