Endless "Sorting directory" SD card issue.

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • The Minimig core seems to work fine with these cards

Thats what i experienced. Not sure about Gelo29 but since he said his cards works with other 8bit stuff fine probably similiar like me.

I appreaciate your efforts to help us ! Invest money in to this issue..... Hopefully you'll find the critter and it's reproducable. If it helps i can offer to send the one 32 gb sdcard wich i use currently only with c64 files in the rootdirectory to you, but for now i'll wait to see what is going on the next few weeks

regards & thank you again

Patrick

• Yes,
    I can confirm. all cores (including Minimig) works perfectly.
    The problem is only when using File Browser.
    Well, maybe I will try to borrow "bigger" cards, like 128GB or even 256GB to try them.
    I will be back with report.

• Just got a note from Alternate that the last SD-card will arrive with them on May 31st, 2023. Unfortunately, that's right in the middle of Tobias' holidays, and re-directing the parcel will be a hassle. Fingers crossed that this will work out fine...

Jens

• I can confirm, that unfortunately, this 256GB GOODRAM SDXC card will NOT WORK with emulators, but works fine with File Browser and C64 mode.
    So, the opposite of others, strange...
    Natively it is in exFAT format, so You must force format to FAT32 (I use small PC program: FAT32 Format).

• I just got this today

Works just fine with my current c64 collection and plenty of space left
    I ordered another 16gb from transcend as well because i guess that the assembly64 collection i like to install need more space (still not sure yet)

Cross fingers it works also, i will see tomorrow and let you know

regards

• Tobias will be back on Monday. Let's hope that delivery of the cards that I've bought are on time.

As for your recent purchase: Please note that this was unprompted, purely your own decision while we haven't even been in a position to investigate the problem.

Jens

• Easy Jens, i thought i would be lucky since the 4 gb works just fine and i don't have any 16gb i gave it a shot, not your vault ofc. Anyway the card completly refuse to work with the tc64 i just wonder why. Anyway not your fault. I gonna be patient now to see whats going on with the issue on topic

• Lottery is a good word for that. At least i won once :P

4 bucks - äh gigabytes :)

I "unprompted" ordered that 256 gb card you mentioned at may 26. if i win again in this faboulous lottery im fine, 256 gb should be enough then for everything :P

I suspect there is no chance to make SD cards "bigger" than 32GB work properly with Chameleon, because they are all SDXC cards.

We don't "officially" support them, but SDXC should work fine, if you format them with FAT32

I'll do some experiments with the cards jens bought...

• OK, so some results. IMHO this shows clearly a connection to power issues....

All SanDisk SDHC cards:

A: 32GB Ultra 120MB/s (silver)

B: 32GB Extreme 100MB/s (gold)

C: 32GB Extreme Pro 100MB/s (black)

The test was: i used the card as is (preformatted), copied a directory full of demos to it, then insert into chameleon and use it in the file browser

Short story: all cards work on V1, all but one show issues on V2

A) seems to be "on the edge". With V2 it seems to hang at init, however quickly removing/inserting the card makes it go further. Sometimes it would still run into a timeout and show "no files". Sometimes you can still trick it into working by re-reading the directory (cbm+r).

B) is an interesting case. It is generally the most stable card - with a twist. On V2 this is the (only) card that works acceptable. With V1 the chameleon resets when inserting the card - however after this, the card remains usable (This is the "heavy inrush current" situation clearly)

C) shows no sign of life with V2 (hangs at init and/or "reading directory)

• At least you could repro our issues, thanks! So any sollution at the horizon expect try to get a v1 :) ?

I don't own a 32 gb silver but a silver 64 gb sandisk, wich i use only for minimig aga wich works like a charm just not with the file browser.

Currently i life with the 4 gb transcend card i bought and hope that the "lottery" let me win one more time with that goodram 256 gb sdcx card then i would be fine.

thank for your efforts !

• FWIW I have the endless sorting problem too sometimes, usually if I go up or down a directory and back in it'll display the contents. Also drive emulation is extremely buggy for me as well as direct PRG load to a lesser extent, maybe related to the SD card stability? I quit using any of these features and just use an SD2IEC. I really bought this thing or the turbo CPU feature anyway but would be nice to see the storage stuff work. I'm using a Sandisk Ultra class 10 SDHC full sized card. Happy bug hunting, good luck!

• Hey, again FWIW I dug out an ANCIENT 2gb crappy noname microsd that dates back to my original Galaxy S phone. Formatted, loaded some PRG and D64s, popped it in an adapter and so far it runs perfectly in the TCv2. Was able to DMA load SuperMario, Galaga and a few othert that would crash and burn on the Sandisk card. Guess older IS better, just like my beloved 6502.

• Drive emulation being buggy with a certain kind of SD card will be hard to explain, as the SD card is not accessed while drive emulation is running. The D64 images are loaded into memory, and everything happens on the Chameleon hardware, not on the SD-card.

Jens