Issue with ACA1221LC

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi, Im experiecing freezes/reboots when I put ACA1221LC into my Amiga 1200, no matter if the clock speed is 14,20,28 or 40 MHz. Its not always at the same time, sometimes after reboot i got software error 8000 0004 or 0008. In my Amiga 500 with ACA500plus it's running without issue also on all Mhz settings. Using the same power supply for both. I know it might be PS related as I have MW inside original Amiga PS case, but is A1200 that much more picky about PS then A500? 5V line measured on floppy connector gives me 5.06V. Thx for any advice.

ACA500+ is few months old

ACA1221LC from 01/22

A1200 reccaped last week

• update: did a fresh install of 3.1 WB onto original 60mb ide hdd,used original A1200 PS (3A on 5V) and the behaviour is the same.even try boot aca1221lc into safe mode (left mouse button) and its the same. Couls it be that old hdd causing it?

• ok one more update...i unplugged hdd,no cf card..just booted WB from the floppy...after some clicking....software err 8000 0004...so i took out floppy,turned on A1200 and when screen with floppy appears, amiga freezes and SW error 8000 0004. This is with original A1200 PS. With MW PS I see couple animations how the disc is going into floppy drive,but eventually it ends the same way...

• Since the ACA1221lc is working without issues on the ACA500plus (which is actually the most piccy one in terms of timing), it is safe to assume that there is no hardware defect.

You are writing that the A1200 has been re-capped last week. It might have been damaged in that process. Please understand that we cannot service A1200 boards.

Jens

• I have seen "professional" work before, so please spare me that word. Rest assured that this kind of work is always done by humans, and we all make mistakes.

The best explanation I have for such a behaviour is that one of the electrolytic caps has been installed the wrong way round, doing more bad than good to the 5V rail, and with the additional load of the ACA1221lc, noise is getting bad enough to make the CPU crash.

Another possibility is that one of the Gayle pins has a micro-crack. Either way, you've done the best test for the ACA1221lc already: You've connected it to the ACA500plus where it works without problems.

A MeanWell chassis for supplying the A1200 may be OK if earth and ground are properly routed, and if it's the old version with 50mV ripple (they downgraded their quality to 120mV ripple a few years ago). Please post a picture and/or a diagram of how you took care of earth, ground and the voltages. Maybe I can spot a mistake.

Jens

• Hi Jens,im going out of city for a weekend.on sunday i should have also 4.5A commodore PS to try,will rune amiga test kit on both amigas and will also try to find another 1200 around to test that aca1221lc. Will check caps end that ground as well and send you pics. Thx for now and have a nice weekend

Tomas

• Hi Jens, latest update. I checked caps (they were ok), used 4.5A PS, cleaned ACA and amiga connectors and still the same. Today morning I give it a try and took E123C and E125C out as described on your page and it's working even on 40Mhz flawlessly:D got lucky both times as aca500+ i have is also working on 40Mhz

Tomas