ACA500PLUS - Workbench 1.3 wil not boot

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I installed my ACA500 PLUS and successfully booted up my Workbench 1.3 and 3.1 from their respective ROMs (F1 and F2 keys), within Main Menu. Over the past month, I can no longer boot up Workbench 1.3... I am presented with a AmigaDOS 1.3 screen, which does not proceed to boot up Workbench 1.3. I tried reinstalling to CF card, but no change. Workbench 3.1 still boots up just fine. Any suggestions?

• I take it that you've used our installer to partition and install your CF card? If so, can you mount the 1.3 partition under 3.1 and see if any of the files has been damaged?

Jens

• Yes, I used the OS 3.1 Auto Installer which unpacked 7/7 disks to my CF card. Once I select "F2 - Boot ACA500plus complete Kickstart ROM 1.3 configuration", this would successfully boot Workbench 1.3. For some reason, this recently failed to boot. I reinstalled OS 3.1 onto another CF card with the same result. Workbench 3.1 is still able to boot fine.

I apologize, but I don't understand how to "mount the 1.3 partition under 3.1 and see if any of the files has been damaged". Can you please explain further?

I really appreciate your input. Thank you.

• Yes, I used the OS 3.1 Auto Installer which unpacked 7/7 disks to my CF card. Once I select "F2 - Boot ACA500plus complete Kickstart ROM 1.3 configuration", this would successfully boot Workbench 1.3. For some reason, this recently failed to boot. I reinstalled OS 3.1 onto another CF card with the same result. Workbench 3.1 is still able to boot fine.

This sounds like you didn't install WB1.3 on the smaller-sized hidden partition. The automatic installer won't do that, as we didn't have the rights to WB1.3 at the time the automatic installer was developed. For that reason, I'm baffled that your system appeared to boot to WB1.3 at any point!

I apologize, but I don't understand how to "mount the 1.3 partition under 3.1 and see if any of the files has been damaged". Can you please explain further?

This is another hint that you have never installed WB1.3 in the first place: The installer will make a third partitoin (in addition to the 3.1 boot partition and the "wprk" partition that occupies the rest of the card). This third partition is about 50MBytes in size, but it is not mounted as standard.

The partition is called "DH0:" and you need to mount it manually after launching WB3.1. To do this, open a shell window (found under system/shell) and type

Code
    1. mount dh0:

The colon must be right after the dh0, no space between the 0 and the colon.

This will make the partition visible/usable under WB3.1 and allow you to copy the files of a WB1.3 to it. If this is really new to you, then your ACA500plus has probebly never booted into WB1.3 before :-)

Jens

• I am sorry to say that I had unknowingly disabled my df0 in Global Profile Settings as I just received a Amiga 1011 external drive earlier this week and I was testing its performance. Before that, I have abandoned my ACA500plus and system for several months as I started a new job. After reading your advice, I realized that I had been booting Workbench 1.3 from df0 and not the ACA500plus. I'm sorry but it seems my memory of 1.3 faded away into misintrepetation. Nevertheless, I learned from your advice and much appreciated. Problem solved! Thank you.

I do have some questions regarding WHDLoad games and how download them from PC to Aux CF on ACA500plus. Shall I begin a new thread to discuss this?

• Hi houghtonbr,

You can copy WHDLoad archives directly to your PC CF from your PC. You will have to rename the longer file names to 31 characters or less as the OS 3.1 install doesn’t use a file system that supports long file names. Then extract the files on your Amiga. Extracting them via your PC will cause issues so don’t do this.

You can also mount the OS CF card in WinUAE on your PC and extract them there much quicker, but that is more complicated to do. I hope that helps. Thanks!

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.