C64r mk2 shows a black screen.

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

As asked, I create this new thread for my issue.

I didn't touch the computer for almost 2 years.

I wanted to try some demos this week but the C64 shows a black screen.

It is connected to a Sony PVM via a s-video cable. The video is synced because the monitor detected a 576i PAL signal but there is nothing on the screen.

The chipset identification shows all chips are ok :

VIC-II: 8565 (7F 00 AF55 PAL)

SID 1 : 8580 (DE 00)

SID 2 : 6581 (A0 CA)

CPU : PHI2 OK (0457)

MCU : 20180227

And I use the PSU bought with the board on your shop.

I reflashed the firmware and tried to use other roms files but with no luck.

I hope this will help.

• Is there anything connected to one of the ports, expecially the cartridge port? Is the on-board LED indicating anything?

Do you have a volt meter to check the regulated 5V?

If you log into the remote control menu and run memory test, is there any indication of an error?

Jens

• Hi

• Do you have an alternative monitor and cable, something that does not use S-Video, but the A/V connector of the C64?

All the data you're giving here point to a working machine. The slightly lower voltage on the VIC is intended, as the filtering drops some voltage. Remote control menu working and not reporting an error on memory test indicates that ROMs are uploaded correctly. I'd expect a picture now, hence the question if you have a different cable and monitor.

If you have an oscilloscope, I'd take a look at the IRQ signal, which should come in at around 60Hz a few seconds after power-up.

Jens

• Hi,

I connected the board to the PVM through the A/V connected with no success (same black screen).

The monitor is working. Here a photo with a MiST

And a photo of the cable

And a picture of my oscilloscope

But I'm not an electronician, can you tell me the settings you wish.

Best regards

• And a picture of my oscilloscope

That's noise, not a video signal. Good to see that you *have* an oscilloscope, but can you actually make measurements with it? Do you know how to trigger on a TV sync signal, or on the falling edge of the IRQ signal?

Jens

• I see an "auto" setting - you normally put the probe on the signal in question, clip to a proper ground, then push the "auto" button and you should have a usable output. Please try that on pin#21 of the keyboard CIA chip after switching on.

• Sicne you want to display a 60Hz signal, I'd change to 2ms/div time basis. Connections look correct.

Try triggering on falling edge, then you should see both the falling and rising pulse - if the IRQ actually happens.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.