MK2 not working

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

One of my two MK2 stopped working (no display but video sync ok).

Tests performed:

Chips and PSU tested with the working board : ok

Voltages : ok

Chips info on serial connection gives the right chips and the same information on both working and non-working boards

Boot with Turbo Chameleon : display ok from the AV port but Basic doesn't start unless i deactivate "copy ROMs from C64" option in Boot-Loader settings.

With this option deactivated, boot screen is here and Diag tests are ok

Does-it mean that ROM files are corrupted within MK2?

I tried flashing old and new firmware back and forth and I tried also booting with custom kernals and Char rom but it doesn't change anything.

Do you have an idea on other tests to perform?

Thanks.

Amine

• It sounds indeed like corrupted ROMs.... and i'd give the exact same advice (reflash the firmware) *shrug*

That said, please do not put the Chameleon into a non working C64 - you risk damaging it.

Jens will know what to do when he is back from Saarbrücken

• This may also be a stuck key on the keyboard, or a dead CIA chip.

Your description doesn't say clearly if you have tried the chips on a known-good board. However, re-flashing the firmware by using our update tool would probably be the first thing we do here.

Jens

• Hi!

I have the same problem. I stored my C64rmk2 for almost 2 years because of my work.
    This week, I wanted to test some demos and had a black screen.

The chipset detection shows all the chips ok.
    I tried to reflash the latest firmware but nothing changes. I also tried to use custom roms.

Do you have any suggestions?

• Please try re-seating all chips in the sockets: Open lever, close it again (push down), then move the chips sideways in the sockets to scratch the pins against the contacts.

Jens

• The "move sideways while lever is closed" part is critical - this, and only this will really ensure good contact. Just removing and inserting the chip again won't make any difference.

Also, there are sockets out there that attempt to get around the Textool patent by using "lever up" for the closed position. We are not using that type of socket. You really need to push the lever down to close the contacts.

Jens

• Since you've hijacked this (so far unsolved) thread, please open a new one and describe your complete setup, including power supply, monitor and so on.

• Hi all,

thanks for your messages.

Yes, I confirm that I have tried chips and PSU on a known-good board.

Re-flashed the firmware many times and tested with custom kernals without success.

Amine