ACA 1221Lc Sync CPU

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • All is fine with the ACA 1221Lc set at 20Mhz on my A1200. I tried to SYNC the CPU with the 14Mhz setting in ACATOOLv3.3 and I repeatedly received Flash Erase Error and when booting there is NO Fast Ram! Running ACATOOL again gave Board Not Found. Somehow ACATOOL started on a different attempt and I reset it to 20Mhz SET CPU and it works again.

Is the board capable of running in sync with the 020 on the mobo?

Thanks.

• ACATool SETSPEED=0 works for a 14.xxMhz setting.

ACATool Flash gives " Flash Erase Error " when speed is set to 14.xxMhz.

The GUI when Flashing 14.xxMhz CPU setting gives "Only MAPROM Functions Saved ***" (Config?)

• ACATool GUI 14.xxMhz + VBR Fast Saved successfully. but No Fast Ram on Boot....

Other 14.xx Options give Verify Error and Flash Erase Error in shell and "Maprom settings only" in GUI

Is v3.3 ACATool Flash using a different address? My 1221LC is V1.20 (6-Dec-2019) PTX99.

• I can't confirm this. This works as expected from commandline and GUI. I switched forth and back several times. With the 14MHz setting I have fastmem. Writing the config to flash was no problem.

• Yes, this could be consistent with the 'Failsafe'-jumper being set.

Please remove the jumper from the ACA1221lc, it's normally not needed, or not anymore.

• Jumper had small particulate matter from storage. Cleaned and removed RTC. Jumper pins are clean and intact. No shielding in that area.

No Change.

ACATool gives Config:?? Only Maprom Settings Saved with 14.xxMhz Flash and Save

" " Power light blink 10 times and yellow screen with 40Mhz set.

20 and 26Mhz work ok.

• Power light blink 10 times and yellow screen with 40Mhz set.

40MHz is a stretch, and it will only work properly with a CA-PSU (not sure if you have one). Most other PSUs don't provide the level of regulation required for stable 40MHz operation of the ACA1221lc.

However, I had the impression that you have trouble with the lowest speed setting, not the highest. Did I get that wrong?

Jens

• Yes the lowest 14.xxMhz isn't flashing to the 1221lc flashrom. My interest in running it was to slow the cpu speed for some WHDLoad installs that aren't coded correctly. If the installs are patched correctly then it shouldn't matter. I really like my 1231 card but it was time to try the 1221lc after non use for years. I also don't like components installed if they are not functioning as specified. As it is the 1221lc runs at 14.xxMhz but won't save for next time.

• So returning the thing might be more expensive than buying a new one... what strikes me is the erase/flash errors. Since the flash contents are in the 8-pin microcontroller, I could send you a spare part to see if it improves things. Do you feel confident soldering an SO8-package, component U2 near the CPU?

Jens

• No problem on my side - just wanted to offer cost-effective help. If there's someone from your region ordering, I could include the spare part in that shipment, and maybe there are people in your local user group who could help with soldering.

• Thanks, the Melbourne user group is the most active in Australia followed by Brisbane and WA. I do know of a couple of technicians but one has moved to Malaysia and the other is my cousin and not as skilled as he was in his prime - or enthusiastic to help. IF the situation presents itself I will be in touch. Thank You for the offer.

R.