6569R1 VIC-II not recognized

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi. I have a ceramic 6569R1 VIC-II chip (date code 1983) that is not recognized by the C64RMK2.

Chipset info:

VIC-II: Unknown (B3 00 B21D PAL)

SID 1 : 6581 (A6 CF)

SID 2 : Unknown (12 00)

CPU : PHI2 OK (0462)

MCU : 20180227

The VIC-II works fine in the C64 it came from (250407 rev A)

Any ideas how to get this working?

I am using the C64RMK2 with the icomp-supplied PSU

Cheers

Michiel

• Any ideas how to get this working?

You can manually set the voltage to 12V for your ceramic chip in the remote control menu. False detection of a HMOS VIC as NMOS is pretty much excluded by design - we didn't have a single report of such a false detection in all these years.

I can see that you've bought the Commodore PSU as well. Are you using this, or is it some other PSU? Can you measure the 12V under load (C64RMK2 switched on)?

Jens

• I should point out that I also am using an ultimax cartridg with these chips

A cart should not make any difference to chip recognition. Anyhow, just to exclude any power related effects, please remove that cart and re-test the ceramic VIC. What kind of cart is that?

Jens

• Arg, I am now getting a black screen with a good VIC-II (6569R3), with or without a cartridge inserted. Almost as if the CPU died. (I don't have any spares unfortunately.)

Serial interface still works FWIW

VIC-II: 6569 (21 4C AF55 PAL)

SID 1 : 6581 (A6 CF)

SID 2 : Unknown (11 00)

CPU : PHI2 OK (045B)

MCU : 20180227

• This sounds very much like contact problems. Voltages are fine (the 12V goes through uite a bit of filtering that drops voltage a little), but your report of not launching at all may be a simple contact problem.

First of all, there are ZIF sockets out there that reverse the behaviour of the lever. Some people get confused when confronted with the "real deal": When 3M introduced Textool sockets, they have used "lever down = closed", and this is the detail that some Chinese manufacturers have changed in order to get around the patent. You may have used "lever up=closed" before and therefore try to apply this experience to the C64 Reloaded MK2 - and you would not be the first person to do so.

In other words: Please make sure that you have the lever in the "up" position while inserting the chips, and you push the lever to the "down" position for operation. For solving contact problems, you can push the chip(s) sideways in the sockets while the lever is down: This will scratch the pins against the contacts and ensure good contact.

Jens

• Right, so

lever up

insert chip

lever down

push chip sideways slightly

I'm pretty sure I did it that way (apart from the moving sideways bit :) )

I'll try re-seating the chips over the weekend.

Thanks and cheers

Michiel

• VIC-II: Unknown (B3 00 B21D PAL)

The B3 is inside the valid voltage range at 5 volt so no attempt is made to switch to 12v power (confirmed as second hex number is 00), but the B21D number is all wrong I guess because of the missing 12v.

Checked and I've one report in my database that looks similar to this case (which was resolved by lowering the switching threshold to B8 in a firmware update):

N. OK (weißer Screen) PAL 6569R3 25/84 "Unknown (BD 00 B21D PAL) "

• Might be an idea to explore how the B21D value is generated, and if that would be a sufficient indicator for "missing 12V".

In any case, manual setting to 12V will make this thing work.

Jens

• 64RMK2 appears to be dead now :(

Video show blank screen with sync and color burst so the VIC-II is working

The CPU appears to be halted. RST goes from low to high on powerup.

I get clock on PHI2 out but RDY is constantly low, I think the CPU does nothing unless this goes high.

• RDY is controlled by the big CPLD - if that latched up, you'll see that behaviour. THe CPLD is of course also exposed to the expansion port, so whatever you've put in there is of interest when we do the repair.

Please read this thread before returning the board.

• Ok I'll try to return the board at some point - do you want me to add the PSU as well? I figure there isn't much wrong with that.

FWIW I used the following cartridges

- ultimateII+ ('original', not the recently shipped reworked models)

- TFWB8b.com 8K cartridge board with winbond W27C512-45 (the board is basically some jumpers and a bypass cap for the eeprom)

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.