Buddha 20th Edition.

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Having a bizarre issue. The buddhascsi.device is only seen, by the system, if the DOM is installed. CD rom and hard drive detect fine. Once the dom is removed and the jumper changed to allow cable connection. The Rom drive and HDD vanish. buddhascsi.device no longer detected in the system.

I have a GVP A2000-HC8+ Series II Card installed with 6meg of ram.

• This could be a simple "wait for devices" issue. You can increase the wait time using the flash tool.

Another chance would be to just use the other port. I believe HDD and CD-drive are on the same cable?

Jens

• I'd like to know more about the whole setup; please describe that in detail, including the devices that are connected on cables. And of course: Can you can get it back to working by removing the GVP SCSI card?

Jens

• Please also note the slot order of both cards (and any others), and if swapping their order makes any difference. Lowest slot is to the right, and highest slot is to the left in an (assumed) A2000 expansion bus.

Former GVP Tech Support 1989-93, GuruROM Maker/Supporter (as personal time allows)

• My A2000 is stock 68000 CPU, 1meg of Chip. OCS Chipset. GVP A2000-HC8+ Scsi card with 6meg of ram.

IDE card has always been on the most right slot, facing the front of the machine. GVP was two slots to the left.

Originally had a pistorm and the IDE card installed. Which the cd rom worked fine with. I wanted a stock A2000 and put the GCP card in. Now it won't show the buddhascsi.device at all.

If I move the cards closer together. The amiga turns on and stays on a black screen with both the power and hdd activity light on constantly.

Move the cards apart and then amiga will boot. I don't know why the system only sees the buddhascsi.device when the DOM is connected. Without the DOM, the system recognises that the card is there, but doesn't see the buddhascsi.device.

• Decided to try the Buddha IDE in my A3000. Exactly the same problem. I've taken photos. With the DOM, buddhascsi.device is available and CD rom works fine. Without the DOM. buddhascsi.device vanishes. No CD rom. HDD's work, but the boot process is paused for about a minute or two before the system boots.

• Scenario: If I was using the GVP with only a SCSI CD-ROM, the boot time ROM is a boot-delayer as it has to time out every time I boot up (never finding a HD). This isn't your issue, but the workaround is how classic expansion slot controllers would also address a CDROM-only configuration.

To solve this, I'd disable the ROM on the card, and during boot (from some other device), have the gvpscsi (+icon) driver in SYS:Expansion from the GVP floppy on the booting media (i.e. - a different HD controller, like on the A3000). When the startup-sequence encounters Binddrivers, it looks in SYS:expansion, loads that driver (needs the icon) and that driver activates the GVP controller, scanning and finding the CDROM on the bus after polling.

Shortly after, with other commands called (this is a generic statement), the media mounting for the CD can happen. In older OS, one would use a Mountlist entry for the CD rive, and call Mount command during s:user-startup. In newer OS 3.1.4 and later, you would have a DOSDriver that contains essentially the same information as a DEVS:Mountlist file entry, and the Storage/DOSDrivers folder already has a pre-made example for CDROMs. The information for the controller card driver would need to be edited at minimum, and possibly an adjustment for the unit ID on the controller. (SCS uses a value from =0-6, IDE uses either 0 or 1).

I don't know if the Buddah has that same driver option for use in SYS:Expansion option - my experience with it is limited. I believe it has a ROM onboard which is always? active, and should not require the Binddrivers/Sys:Expansion driver method. My own Buddah card is packed away for a few weeks as I shuffle my tech room around in my apartment and I am also on the road for work. In theory, the 2 cards should work together without issue.

• Thank you. I have exhausted everything and have removed the Buddha card. Replaced the IDE rom with a SCSI rom and attached to the GVP. This is working perfectly fine. Don't know why the Buddha only works when the DOM is attached to IDE2.

• Without the DOM, the system recognises that the card is there, but doesn't see the buddhascsi.device.

This means that the CD-Rom is not there during power-up, and the device driver decides not to use any memory for "no drives attached". Please try a different jumper setting of the CD-drive: There may be "Master" and "Master with slave present" in addition to the usual "slave" setting.

I'll see if we can publish the buddhascsi.device as a single file for such cases.

Jens

• We're currently trying to compile a version of buddhascsi.device that runs from the boot drive - not an easy task, but I remember we've had a case like this before that wasn't really resolved. Would be nice if we can just offer a file in the Wiki that does what you'd expect.

• We're currently trying to compile a version of buddhascsi.device that runs from the boot drive - not an easy task, but I remember we've had a case like this before that wasn't really resolved. Would be nice if we can just offer a file in the Wiki that does what you'd expect.

Jens,

I was one user who raised the need/request of having buddhascsi.device on file. This will allow the use of the Buddha for strictly cd-rom use.

• We've had an internediate result where a devuce could be built that would only work with one of the two ports. For the second port, a second device would be needed. While I don't find it really satisfying, it may be a solution for those who only want to use a CD-Rom drive. Timm knows more, and he can also make an upload to the Wiki if it's something upload-worthy. However, Timm is currently reducing overtime, so it might take some time for him to answer.

Jens

• I don't know if it's an applicable solution, but the GVP G-Force 040's FastROM, or the GuruROM, driver places a 'dummy' Autoconfig board into the system board list (when it detects that card) for it's onboard I/O extender which sits at a different offset on the AutoConfig PIC. Later, when the I/O extender driver gets loaded from a Binddrivers call, it will find that card, as well as any legitimate Z2 I/O Extender cards, and the driver mates to them.

Maybe this has some possible ideas to work with?

Former GVP Tech Support 1989-93, GuruROM Maker/Supporter (as personal time allows)