Anyone know if this PAL VIC II chip is legitimate?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi everyone! I am in the process of building a PAL REloaded MK2 for use here in Canada due to difficulty of finding NTSC versions of games. Since I don't have a PAL C64 my understanding is with the MK2 you only need to have a PAL VICII for PAL mode to work here in NTSC land...does anyone know if this Ebay item sounds real? I was concerned due to saying "NEW" my understanding is new old stock was sold out long ago?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/BRAND-…-II-PAL-chip/202481951543

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Epyx

• Epyx

Changed the title of the thread from “Anyone know if this chip is legitimate?Any” to “Anyone know if this PAL VIC II chip is legitimate?”.
  • There is no indication that this is a real or a fake chip. The only indication is price: It feels overpriced, and if you're willing to pay that much, go buy two defective C64s for that kind of money and harvest the VIC-II chips. They hardly ever break, so a used/defective C64 may be the much-better option.

• Thanks Jens! Appreciate the response! I have purchased it but found a much better deal for a 2nd one. I should have done as you suggested but if they both work I will likely still get a couple PAL complete defective units as you suggested fors pare parts and/or recovery if possible.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.