Video "brightening" issue with C64R MK2

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi all! I've got a new Reloaded Mark II that generally works pretty well, but I'm having strange video issues when brighter colours are on the screen. When the video output first connects things are fine, but it progressively brightens/washes out. Reconnecting the output resets the colours back to normal, but the same thing just happens again. Happens with both the onboard s-video and both composite and s-video through this little A/V adapter (https://retrorewind.ca/c64-av-adapter).

https://youtu.be/VYSkRXlO4pE

I'm using a RetroTINK 5X Pro to scale the output. No such issues on any of my working original C64s. Any ideas? Bad VIC-II? Bad board?

• Please make one more cross-test without your scaler, i.e. with a monitor that has a real S-Video or Composite input. I'd like to eliminate the av-adapter-thing as a source of the problem.

We do test each and every board before it gets it's warranty ID, and if you are suspicious about your VIC chip, you can of course just put in a different one. These chips are in sockets on every single C64 on the planet, and the MK2 has ZIF sockets for everything you supply, so you have a lot more levers to pull to pinpoint the source.

• I'm sorry, but I'd really like the customer to make a test without the AV adapter, as such DIY-projects do not guarantee any quality control. If we have a chance to take a 3rd party component out of the equation, we should just do it.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.