Amiga A1200 IDE to SATA adapter.

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • On another post I used an IDE to SATA adapters I later found out that they at times hang up the Buddha IDE buss and would not be reliable on my A3000D/T. I was working om y A1200 and decided to order a different IDE to SATA adapter that would fit inside the A1200 using the IDE2SD adapter. It works great, I now can have a single SATA cable coming out of the A1200 to my SATA DVD drive. The picture shows that I was powering up the DVD drive from the A1200 and the adapter. I have cleaned up the wiring, I powered up the adapter using a floppy power connector powered up from the A1200 power connector. The DVD is powered from a separate power supply. When not using the SATA cable slide a piece of tubbing over it for its protection. This adapter works great with the Buddha IDE. There are switch settings on the adapter for its settings. The adapter I used is SYBA SD-ADA50016 SATA II to IDE ATA133 Bi-directional Adapter I bought on eBay for $9.39 free shipping no VAT across the pond, Idaho U.S.A.

enjoy!

• Note the A1200 HD LED will not work with the IDE2SD with my adapter. From the A1200 schematic a wire needs to connect from the SD adapters activity led positive to IDE connector pin 39. Use an ohm meter from CN1 pin 3 to pin 39 on the 44-pin ide connector there should be zero ohms to confirm the wiring. On the SD adapter on the proper side of the resistor going to its LED (the LED may need to be removed). Care should be followed doing this! The components on the IDE2SD adapter are surface mount and proper soldering equipment is required! USE THIS INFORMATION AT YOUR OWN RISK (not shouting).

• Thank you for posting the Information of your IDE2SATA Adapter. At the moment I am uding one, where I have thr Problem, that disc changes recognice. So I am looking for another which maybe work better.

• Yes, it is possible that the SATA DVD Rom makes the trouble. But the chance that a cheap IDE2SATA Adapter doesn't has implimentat the complete ATA command list is also possible. Most of these adapters are made for hard drives, not for cd/dvd.

• The IDE-SATA adapter doesn't have to implement any commands: The command set is the same. It's the same protocol, just a different interface. So it's way more likely that the DVD drive has an implementation bug than the SATA adapter having such a bug, as the SATA adapter has a lot less things to do (and therefore a lot less things that can go wrong).

• I just checked my A1200 and the CD disk change works great the CD Icon goes away each time I eject the cd and a new one pops when I insert a new CD. If you have a window open and do a disk change you will have two cd on your screen but closing that window will make the CD icon, go away. This IDE2SATA adapter works just fine. Using the IDE2SATA adapters in my earlier post it seems to do with the makes of hard drive SATA or IDE, I was using Maxtor which has a MASTER only or Slave or cable select jumper. Seagate and WD have Master with Slave or Slave and Cable select. This may interfere with the drives not the Buddha.

I have been fighting with the A3000T RAM ZIP sockets. Commodore put the ZIP sockets top right corner and it is difficult to get the chips, the floppy and DVD drives and the power supply wiring are in the way. The A3000D is great, very easy to install the RAMS. When I get the time, I am going to remove ALL ZIP sockets and solder in 32 1mx4 ram, no more fighting ZIP sockets.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.